1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Chronicle Reporters ... time for jail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

This is ridiculous. These reporters are screwed because they did a better job than the U.S. goverment! The fuckin U.S. government, with all its resources, couldn't put in the leg work that these two reporters could? So now they're stuck in jail? bullshit!

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

The plus side is, this'll be a shitload of overtime ;D

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Who owns the Gate? If it was JRC or Gannet they would probably fire them for not showing up for their job. LOL.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Kudos to these two reporters for doing their job.

In spite of what they face, at least Barry Bonds won't ever truly be able to celebrate the HR record because enough people, through the actions of these reporters, found out the truth.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fuck the ethics of protecting sources. What I want to know is, is it acceptable to claim the time spent learning to make a shank out of a toothbrush or a toaster-oven from a shoebox, 40-watt light bulb and mattress spring?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Here's hoping the Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada School of Journalism at So-and-So University is the largest J-School ever -- with a nice little donation from the massive book deals they get while they're in prison.

7. sheos

sheos Member

c'mon, a huge story like this (or any story for that matter) you HAVE to keep your sources confidential, even you spend some time in a country club prison. eat some caviar and watch sportscenter for 18 months (no digital cable though, just regular 50 channels), have some conjugal visits here and there, be extremely bored, and come out set for life. it is a long time, and it will be very boring, but how could you do differently? it would be much worse to reveal your sources, you'd be a journalistic outcast forever (not to mention it's wrong and you'd be a fucking pansy).

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I think that the Chron should devote all its resources to finding out the heinous crimes in America adjudicated where the prison time was less than 18 months.

That judge is a fucking embarrassment.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Country club my ass. They'll be in the federal reserve pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

11. In Exile

In Exile Member

We're all just one good tip and a knock on the door away from where they are. Don't forget that. And I know someone in federal prison. It's no joke, and there's no pot of gold book deal waiting for these guys if they go in/when they get out.

12. I've been horrified over the last day at how many people (outside our biz, obviously) who don't give a damn about this. Some have even gone so far as to say, "Good, they deserve it."
    Son-of-a-bitch, does that suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted