1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Chronicle names Christina Kahrl sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Mar 10, 2021.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

What a fantastic hire. I believe Christina Kahrl is the first female to be hired as sports editor of the San Francisco Chronicle and I've no doubt she's the first trans person hired for the position.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Saw that tweet and thought "perfect hire at the perfect time." Good luck, Christina.

Grew up reading the Sporting Green (back when newsprint came in colors, like the Oakland Tribune's peach!). Some great people have worked there over the years, and I'm certain Kahrl will continue to keep moving forward.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I agree, she'll do a great job.

The Sporting Green. I'm told that several years ago, grown men cried when the first Sporting Greens rolled off the presses at the Chronicle's East Bay plant, after it was discovered they could print it on green paper again, unlike at the plant in San Francisco where they used green screens to keep up the tradition.

And, of course, the Hearst Examiner in the 60s and 70s had a great rack card: "The Examiner's sports section makes other papers turn green with envy."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    maumann likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Times-Picayune's bulldog edition front page was green, back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted