1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Chron, SJ Mercury News fire Sharks beat reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clerk Typist, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The only "major" team in town, so, yeah, cutting back there is the prudent move. All about the $$$$ for Lean Dean.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

More information on Dylan: He left to go to the Dodgers beat at the LA Times.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'd say that's a healthy step up, despite the Times' issues. Because there are a thousand more issues at the Merc.

4. DPollak@TheMerc

DPollak@TheMerc New Member

Four criteria spelled out in the guild contract -- one objective (seniority), and three subjective (competence, ability to do available work, something else equally fuzzy).

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So they could basically cut those they wanted to cut for whatever reason?

When Durham had its bloodletting with the new owners, they took out the No. 2 paid person everywhere. No. 2 paid sports writer, No. 2 paid sports desker, No. 2 paid metro reporter and so on. Never looked at ability or anything close to it.

6. enigami

enigami Member

I always thought Victor Chi was one of the more underrated Bay Area beat guys (though I suppose that's an easy call if he's covering the hockey team in San Jose). Still, that's a tough loss.

7. blueview

blueview Member

Agreed. It seems like Victor has been covering that beat for years. This is a shock. Hopefully he'll land somewhere quickly.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This won't be the last of hockey coverage cuts. With its low national ratings, hockey will be seen as a painless place to cut.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Thanks for the update. That's good news. Comparatively good, at least.

10. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Vic Chi covered the Sharks for about 11 years.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Mentioned this on the other San Jose thread, but I really enjoyed Victor's work and hope he lands on his feet.

Didn't know about Ross, another real professional. Hope he got a great buyout.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone know what kind of money these places are offering for buyouts? I know one place that was offering a week for every year worked there plus a bulk payment and the guy who had been there for 30 years couldn't get to the door fast enough...

Draft saved Draft deleted