1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sez Who?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stupid, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Some performers can transition into being older without it affecting the way I think about them. I've seen the the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, John Prine, Tommy Makem, Neil Young (by himself), the Indigo Girls, and many, many others. The fact that they were/are aging didn't affect my appreciation of the performances, but they just come out and perform. They're not jumping around like they're still kids.
    I saw the Rolling Stones during the Steel Wheels tour and the Who circa the same time. I found it embarassing.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I saw the Stones during the Bridges to Babylon tour. First time I've seen 'em (and last, because I ain't paying $150 for nosebleeds now), so of course it was great to me. I'd see 'em again if not for prices.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Add the Eagles to that list too. But I guess they at least admitted they were in it for the money (like the Pistols did when they "reformed").

And westcoastvol, great grab from my fave Who song, "5:15".

4. 2much --
    Hey, I lived through the hooror that was Kenney Jones, and I like Zak a great deal. It's just that I think this tour is one too many.

5. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Townsend just put another album out. I'll give it a chance since, unlike Jagger, he's a great writer.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

True, but has he put out a great album since Empty Glass?

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I could have typed that almost.

I had just turned 15 when I saw them at the Tangerine Bowl with Joan Jett and the B-52s (huh?).

A few months later, I was at VH on the Diver Down tour.

No church group for me, though.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The one 80s band I'd probably go see if they ever got back together again is The Police. Loved them when I was a kid but I never got to see them in concert.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw them twice. The first one was in 1982 at the first Police Picnic, an event the band headlined for a few years here in Toronto (the one I was at, in Oakville, was a Who's Who's of high-end new wave acts - bet Mr. Friend O' The Friendless would remember it) and I saw what I think was their last-ever North American show at Giants Stadium on the Amnesty International tour.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It wasn't a few months. One week, The Who played the T-Bowl. 10 days later, the Diver Down tour played two nights at the Lakeland Civic Center.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Who: Nov. 27, 1982 at Tangerine
    VH: Dec. 9, 1982 at Sportatorium

Good recall, 2much

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You never forget the really good times. And those were among the best ever. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted