1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual Harassment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, you might be on to something. She is likely crushed that an adonis like you is not interested in her......

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And if 98 percent of the members had started the thread, it would be taken seriously.

The Boots Who Cried Wolf has forfeited that privilege.

Quit wondering. Ask her instead of us.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

apparently.
    uh-oh.

well....on to journalismjobs.com for you.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

fixed.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Zeke, I don't know if you're harassing me with those snide theatre comments, but if you have a problem with me, just send me a PM, or fuck off, and please remember to have a blessed and happy Gary Smith Sure Has Come A Long Way Since He Got Beat On The Gene Banks Recruitment Story Day.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I hate to pat myself on the back, but does anyone recall me being criticized for saying I limit my interaction with females in the office by erring on the side of caution. This is the exact freaking reason why. It's often best not to kid with them about anything that could be remotely construed as a sexual topic.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but if she felt that what you said was out of line, why didn't she say something to you first instead of going straight to HR?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

This will not end well for boots.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Probably because this isn't the first time he's said shit to her, and saying you'd take somebody home with you is a pretty egregious example of harrassment.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I still say if you can't talk to a woman without making sexually suggestive comments in the workplace than you've got a lot bigger problems than the "PC Police."

And I think we all know that if boots says this type of "flirting" and "kidding" has been going on for months, that when he said he'd take her home, he wasn't just kidding.

Boots, you might not have intended to make her feel uncomfortable, but what you said is a big no-no in the workplace. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that. If you were in a bar together, more power to you. But you have to be pretty thick-headed to be surprised that you're in trouble after saying something like that in the office.

Apologize profusely. Tell her you thought you could "joke" with her about things like that. Tell her it'll never happen again. And then make sure it doesn't.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK... Thinking for a second about being a woman (or a "gal," as boots would describe me)... I have the unfortunate experience of working with boots...I have to spend all day listening to him name drop and tell ridiculous stories and get into arguments with everyone who calls him on the obvious bullshit. But I'm a nice woman, so I go out of my way to stay clear of him. Sometimes I just want to scream, "STFU!" but I am a classy, dignified woman and I resist... with all my might.

The thing is, you can't stay clear of boots, no matter how hard you try--he's always lurking. The one time you get trapped in an elevator, you're inevitably alone with him (and he crowds you, of course, while you frantically press buttons to get the elevator moving).

So I'm minding my own business one day, trying to stay clear of boots, but he springs himself on me by surprise, squirts some binoca blast in his mouth, pats down his cowlick and lays a suggestive line on me that makes me immediately want to take a four-day bleach shower. Of course, boots KNOWS what a charmer he is, so he has a pleased look on his face. The look makes my small intestines rumble and I feel violently ill. My choices are to find a sharp object quickly and administer immediate justice or visit HR. It looks like this woman chose the latter.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Probably, but wouldn't you think at some point a simple "Knock it off./That's not cool./That's not funny, etc." would have been a good thing to say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.