1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex Scandal Threatens a Georgia Pastor’s Empire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

How do you figure? Ike was about money.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So was Eddie Long. And all these preachers with arena-sized churches who sell you the snake oil that if you're good with God (as in, the preacher) and hate who He (as in, the preacher) tells you to hate, then earthly prosperity is yours. After all, look at me, the preacher (as in, God)!

What's that they say about absolute power?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Reverend Frederick J. Eikerenkoetter II better known to many as Rev. Ike was more about money Bob. He coined the phrase the lack of money is root of all evil.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I remember those Rev. Ike ads in the Daily News -- "Why wait for pie in the sky when you die?"

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Rev. Ike may be the putative founder of "Prosperity Gospel," but the likes of Eddie Long, Joel Osteen and Peter Popoff (the "miracle water" guy) have taken that ball and run with it. Long is one of six evangelist operations under investigation by Chuck Grassley's office because of possible financial improprieties.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-11-07-televangelist-probe_N.htm

FTA:

Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church and Bishop Eddie Long Ministries of Lithonia, Ga., was questioned about his salary, a $1.4 million real estate transaction and whether he, and not the board, holds sole authority over the organization. Long plans to fully comply with the Senate's request, and his church has "several safeguards" to ensure transactions comply with laws governing churches, according to a statement from Long's spokesman.

Apparently the investigation is still active. (And Benny Hinn is a target, too.)

The beauty of being a preacher is that unlike other nonprofits, church tax forms aren't available for public review.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

These preachers get no taxpayer funds, so I don't give a damn. If a preacher wants to live in palaces, drive 6 figure cars, travel first class to 5 star resorts and get 7 figure incomes plus princely perks it's fine with me and fine by the chumps who pay for it. It's certainly more honest than a certain church who may be the world's largest private landowner and private collector of art who revels in the vow of poverty for the masses and live like literal Princes.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Check me if I'm wrong, but don't preachers get all sorts of tax exemptions? In addition, of course, to their land being exempt from property taxes.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The land is exempt from property taxes, which applies to all religious institutions. I object to this but it is fairly enforced. The preacher pays income taxes, he is not exempt, but the Church is exempt from income taxes, to the extent the money is recycled to do the business of the church.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's not a black or white issue. It's just another hypocritical homophobic issue.
    Hopefully, this will wake up blacks who oppose homosexuality just because the fellow banging the pulpit told them to.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No pun intended, of course.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This will not end well.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39415696/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Prediction: Even if disgraced and forced to resign, etc., this guy will be back in the same con within five years. Just look at Ted Haggard, who has a new church.

Draft saved Draft deleted