1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex scandal, Canadian style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 10, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, a young (32 year old) Toronto city councillor, Adam Giambrone is running for mayor of Canada's largest city and has just come out with an admission of an "inappropriate relationship" with a twenty year old woman. He also has a live in partner of several years who apparently the other woman didn't know about. When confronted, he told his new squeeze that his live-in was just there for "political purposes".

Now he's admitting that he had numerous relationships with other woman while chairman of the Toronto Transit Commission (our public transit system).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/giambrones-career-damaged---not-crippled---by-sex-scandal/article1462275/

Well, he's got the old mea culpa thing down pat.

Funny thing is, I always figured the live-in was a beard.

Or maybe he's bi.

Probably the most damning thing is he revealed City Hall Secrets. He told his g/f about an upcoming transit fare increase well in advance of it being made public. That's regular Jack Bauer stuff.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since he is not married what is inappropriate about it ?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Apparently some Canadians have an intense love for beaver.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I liked this line:

Translated:

"Hey, whippersnapper, keep it together until you've accomplished something. Then you can cheat on your wife/girlfriend."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Only one solution, the way I see it. Make him drink burnt coffee as punishment.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'm with Boom...I don't see the big deal. If the TTC hadn't been making so much dubious news lately (fare collectors falling asleep in their booths, bus drivers pulling over for seven-minute piss breaks), this wouldn't have been nearly as big an issue.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, disagree.

Guy's running for mayor. That's the reason this is news, not that he's chair of the TTC.

He has a live-in girlfriend. I'm sure she doesn't think shtumping another woman in his city hall office is appropriate---whether they're married or not.

Personally, I don't think he has the experience to run a city of 3 million people but this little episode ain't good optics.

I'm not a big fan of Smitherman but I'd vote for him over Adam any day

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He's giving a presser right now, he's out of the race.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/763285--adam-giambrone-abandons-bid-for-mayor?bn=1

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

OK, I agree his candidacy (now aborted) is the reason this is news. However, I think the TTC's recent troubles make this bigger news.

And perhaps I'm jaded, but I don't get terribly offended by infidelity, especially when the offender wasn't married.

But bastion of loyalty or not, I agree there's no way he would have been able to run the city.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed, this whole infidelity thing seems kind of pointless to me. the guy's not married so this is news? So he's a serial fornicator, big deal. (I thought the original girlfriend or "partner" as she has been referred, was a front and he was gay.) Sea Bass is right, the TTC is a mess right now and it's a focal point of this city even when guys aren't falling sleep on the job or holding up traffic taking a piss.

Giambrone struck me as a guy who should be running for yearbook editor not mayor.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the story of when Jimmy Carter told his mother he was going to run for President.

Her answer: "President of what?"

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

well, I'm with you on that but I don't draw the distinction between married or non-married.

The TTC is a mess. It's gone from being one of the best public transit systems in North America to an absolute joke in about twenty years.

I'm mostly pro-union but some of these employees have a completely overinflated sense of entitlement. I cringe every time one of them open their mouths.

It's a great system--for 1970.

Draft saved Draft deleted