1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex offender killer gets two life sentences

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A man who killed two sex offenders gets two life sentences, but shows little remorse.

With so many gun vigilantes out there, I wonder if publishing names and addresses of any offender is such a good idea. Had a similar case happen a number of years ago in a community where I worked.

http://news.yahoo.com/washington-man-killed-two-rapists-gets-life-sentence-201532126--abc-news-topstories.html

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

One of the sex offenders that was killed was a sex offender based upon a conviction he had years earlier after he had consentual sex with a high school freshman. He was a high school senior at the time.

This is the part of America I find truely disturbing, the latent puritanism embeded in our culture. Consentual sex among teenagers is a personal and familial moral issue, it should not be a legal one and the government should not be involved.

Those small minded religious folk who don't want the government anywhere near their house-o-worship have no problem trying to force their simple, and allegedly, religious ideas of morality onto others and into the law.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

He soon will get to meet many more rapists.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Statutory rape laws have little to do with today's "small-minded" religious folk. In the English common law statutory rape has been on the books since the 13th century. And until only a century or so ago, statutory rape was in essence a property crime, an unmarried female's purity being perceived as an asset that merited state protection.

That said, I think it's ridiculous that a teenage boy who has consensual sex with another similarly aged girl can be hauled up on charges and branded a sex offender.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A sex offense is the one crime in which a debt to society is never considered paid. Think about it. There's not murderers' registry, or conmen's registry.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sex offender registry laws have really run amok--especially punitive sentences for things like consensual sex between teenagers or even for getting caught taking a piss in the woods.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I dunno on this one. A lot of more conservative states have lower age of consent laws, while California consent is 18.

I'm a Christian, and there are plenty of moralists in the church. Plenty. But there are just as many outside of it.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Another possible headline: Convicted double murderer gets two life sentences

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The Argument That Must Be Won, the roomate version.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I guess he had to take off his tin foil hat in court.

Draft saved Draft deleted