1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex between coach and student

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Nov 16, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Very true. Problem is a lot of people think of us as their police department. For whatever reason they'll talk our ears off on the phone but the thought of calling someone who could actually do something about it makes them cringe. What are we gonna do? The coach will never admit he did anything cause he'll look like a pederast. The player will never admit anything because she'll be afraid of looking like a ho. The players will never rat because of fear of losing playing time, being benched and a whole buncha other things that go on at practice that we never see.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Covered a Scientology school that boasted a 6-foot-2 stud post and outside hitter/blocker. Great kid -- a D-i Prospect in both volleyball and basketball.

Senior year, and the coach's questionnaire doesn't list her. Of course, red flags fly. Everyone's going to want to know what happened.

Call the AD, who tells me she dropped out of school to join the ministry.

I ALMOST asked him when she was due. Almost.

Spring rolled around, by the way, and the stud starting pitcher on the baseball team left the school.

Hmm.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Scientology has high schools? Our Lady of the Flying Saucer? St. Tom of Nutjobdom?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That Tom Cruise is one sick son of a bitch.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I had to deal with a rumor campaign directed at a high-profile player one year when I was handling USAT's girls basketball coverage. "Everybody" in her town knew what was going on, it was said. It didn't keep the young woman from playing well, anyway, and thus wasn't an issue for me.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

Grifter,
    Since you didn't specify, I just wanted to check: Was this an anonymous letter?
    Is there a history of players transferring out of this program?
    How well do you know the girl and her parents?
    Have you written about her before and developed a rapport with them?

The accusation could be false, but I wouldn't dismiss it.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

This was an anonymous letter. A reporter asked her about switching schools during the media day, but she would only say it was because of "personal reasons."
    I'm not familiar with the girl or the coach since I just moved here, but thinking of trying to develop some sort of bond just to see where this goes.
    It is odd for her to be transferring from a state runner-up team that didn't lose anyone, though.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One way you can pursue this if you want is to check into how she was able to transfer. I would imagine that in most states if a high school athlete switches schools without moving, you'd need to go through some kind of appeal process to be eligible.

Maybe you could get the reasons given for the transfer to be allowed from the school or the state. Seems like she'd have to have a pretty good story to get the green light.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

i'd just write "before."

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know there's one in oregon, although the name escapes me.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's the Delphian School fwiw. I do think the post raises a point in that a lot of districts are freaked out about potential scandals so they hire women to coach girls team, sometimes replacing men who are hacked off and will sue the district. You might do a story on what the district does with training for coaches and how the new hyper-sensitivity to the subject has changed the way coaches coach and how involved they get with their players off the court.
    Nobody had a problem with Coach Reeves getting involved with his players personal lives back in the day. It was admired. Now, not so much.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Have you checked clips and police reports?

Is the other coach still there?

Draft saved Draft deleted