1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex between coach and student

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Nov 16, 2007.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

We're starting our girls basketball season today and had previews run all this week. Well, I received a letter today with a clip of one of our stories inside about a girl who transferred.
    Written down next to the headline about the transfer is "was this before or after she had sex with her coach."
    In a different spot, the person wrote, "the church and school is hiding this."
    Looking for suggestions on how or if I should pursue this.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ask Poindexter.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate this when people make such anonymous accusations.

If a person was willing to call and give you a tip like that -- even if they wouldn't give their name -- I'd feel better about pursuing it.

This kind of juvenile crap, I would consider it in the back of your mind and keep your eyes open but I wouldn't start beating down doors.

I'm assuming that if it's true, there is no police report and that the family of the girl isn't gonna talk, so I don't know where you go.

Plus there is the real possibility that it doesn't have any basis of truth whatsoever.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Ace here. Anonymous scribblings on an article? Not much to go asking tough questions on.

Only thing I can think of is if you do a story on the team at some point, do the interviews in person and talk to the kid. Innocently slip a question or two in about the reasons for the transfer and see if something shakes loose.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought this would be a poll.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And if that doesnt work drop off the clipping to the police, since it really is their job to investigate a potential statutory sexual assault, assuming she's underage.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The line made me smile....the potential poll options that popped into my head had me laughing. Not sure I'd even post them in Anything Goes, much less here.

Though there could be a serious poll. How many of us have heard of something like this happening, known it for a fact but couldn't prove it or actually found enough proof to go ahead and do a story on it?

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

This is a good idea.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I get one good idea a year and I piss it away on you people. Fuck, I feel sick now.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it's a good idea:

1. It may not be true whatsoever. May be someone pursuing a vendetta or passing along rancid gossip. Why get the police involved in that?

2. Either the tipster or the parent has every opportunity to go to the cops themselves.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

true. true.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

think I'll just follow the team and see what shakes loose.

Draft saved Draft deleted