1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex and the Celebrity Profile

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Please, PLEASE don't call me a "pill" again! I just don't know what I would do!

Anyway . . .

Just remembered how much I laughed when I read these posts. And 10 seconds of searching later, your sad obsession is resurrected.

For every female sports journalist who seems to invite what we would term as an inappropriate relationship with an athlete, or who might use her sexuality to gain access, there are 10 others who loudly say she is doing no favors for the profession, or for her gender's standing in the profession.

In other words, I agree with you.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nobody post until I get back with popcorn.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If we're having an honest discussion--and what the hell, why not--I'd say sexual energy makes the world go around, and it's impossible to overlook or discount it. Some women are really good at using it without flaunting it, so you never really notice. The ones you notice, not so good at it.

To me, bringing a sexual relationship into a writer/subject relationship is a disaster. Where's your focus, what are you asking, why are you asking it? You've lost all objectivity. But sexual attraction? Might get you a little closer and give you a little more emotional contact than you would have with someone you can't connect to.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

With? The end of that post looks weird to me. To or with?

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

To, I think.

I don't think anyone's objective about anybody, but yes, I see your point about the confusion that actual sex might bring to a story. It would certainly have to be included in the story, I think, for the sake of transparency and teenage masturbatory fantasies. As for sexual attraction? Sure, use it. Do whatever you can, within reason, to get to the heart of the story. My original point was that in the strange little world of magazine celebrity profiles, the men, whether the writer or the subject, are the ones who seem to get played, not the way Gawker made it sound.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't fathom where in the world these male writers exist who would be appealing to starlets. No offense to anyone who might be posting here and have spent time with a certain David Lynch muse.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the power of what someone thinks you can do for them in print.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Goddammit, and I interviewed Alyssa Milano once.

9. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

Did you get her number?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

YOU SHUT YOUR EVERLOVING FACE.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One time a starlet flirted with me to make sure I wrote a good headline on her story.

12. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

Which starlet?

Draft saved Draft deleted