1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex and the Celebrity Profile

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 23, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is from Gawker. I don't usually look at Gawker, but yesterday Chris Jones tweeted something so remarkable, I had to look. From the Gawker story, entitled 'Sexile in Guyville: Lady Writers and the Male Celebrities They Profile':

http://gawker.com/5893317/sexile-in-guyville-lady-writers-and-the-male-celebrities-they-profile

Okay, two things:

1. Seeking examples of male profile writers who actually a) slept with their subjects and b) disclosed it.

2, and I might have to take a xanax before I can discuss this further. WOW, women profile writers get hit on by their subjects! And it might be uncomfortable!! Because, you know, if you weren't writing about the guy FOR SURE you would want to fuck him and now you can't!

Note to writer, who happens to be female: If you believe it's so notable that a man would make a provocative statement to a female reporter, that he would proposition her or make salacious remarks...talk to female sports journos, who are the SEAL Team 6 of dealing with this silliness.

3. And finally, this:

Goddammit, this makes me nuts.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

AJ Daulerio, Editor-in-Chief.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow, that was so hot.

Ya wanna?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ah. Makes me think back to my Bea Arthur profile.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know. Hoping he will provide the list of male writers who publicly disclosed the sexual encounters with female interview subjects. We shall wait.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

AJ Daulerio is doing a heck of a job. He's getting clicks.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had dinner with a well-known magazine writer who was in the process of pitching her autobiography. She told a story about routinely bedding cover subjects she wrote about for Ms. in the early Seventies. She recalled checking out one day in the supermarket when she saw the latest issue with Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood on the cover. "And I thought to myself, 'I fucked both of them!'"

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of Lisa D. when I worked with her at the National Enquirer.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't this how Alexandra Stevenson arrived in the world?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ugly stuff. But that's Gawker. Most of its writers tap into that part of them who hates any virtuous thing about mankind and spreads awfulness. They're dark, black souls. I stay away. They just want to hurt people.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thank you for dinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted