1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Several dead' after truck crashes into crowd at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice 'terror attack'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was just in France, in one of the cities (Bordeaux) hosting Euro 2016 games. I went to a game. I went to the Fanzone. I hung out in crowded sidewalk cafes. There was plenty of security, but I couldn't help noticing it was unbalanced. Lots of it in some ways, not nearly enough in others.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Too bad JR doesn't come around much. He could tell us how far kilometer is.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

0.62 miles.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or the Tour de France - the sporting event that is probably the most-impossible to secure.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

But wait, aren't all terrorists Muslim? Aren't they the cause of all our problems? [BLUE FONT] (Waco, Sandy Hook and OKC don't count for some reason)

6. Michael_ Gee

It smells of an attack of opportunity and desperation. Why have all those weapons if you're the lone actor using a truck as a deadly weapon?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

To ramp up the terror. And the carnage.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

ISIS is desperate now.

It's losing territory.

Apparently the flow of foreign fighters is drying up.

France holds special significance for ISIS.

9. Michael_ Gee

Firearms are not as hard to come by in France as they are in some European countries, but it still isn't easy. I believe (could completely be wrong) that if there was a store of them on board that truck, they were destined for other hands.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They think they killed another commander of ISIS today, confirmation still pending. Daesh can still perform terrorist acts, but the Caliphate is visibly shrinking by the month.

11. Michael_ Gee

That is why terrorist attacks will increase. It is the weapon of the weak and the losers. No attacks in France when ISIS was overrunning the Sunni areas of Iraq. They thought they were winners then.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It is also easy. A guy in a truck who runs up on a crowded sidewalk and crushes a bunch of people requires little intel or logistic help. A couple of guys with AK's and half a dozen mags each can kill and maim many before they are put down. That's why you'll see more of it. This is especially true if the doer does not care if he dies. If a terrorist gives himself up for dead before the start and is simply determined to do as much damage as possible, it is extremely difficult to prevent a great deal of damage.

It is also why ISIS is working so hard at radicalizing the angry and resentful here via the web. The same sort of attack works very well for such people, as in San Bernadino and Orlando. ISIS gets the PR credit while doing little to nothing to actually perform the attack.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted