1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Several dead' after truck crashes into crowd at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice 'terror attack'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This easily (and kind of surprised it didn't) could have happened during the Euro tournament. That was the biggest fear of officials.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Apparently there were all sorts of weapons. One wonders if the driver was challenged at a checkpoint and decided to barrel his way to oblivion, excuse me, paradise.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, now I'm starting to get scared. I have a limited number of years to live. I don't want it to end in a terrorist attack.

4. Michael_ Gee

One thing I ob
    One thing I observed, and I observed closely after 9/11, is that security weakens AFTER the big game/event is over. So it's not totally surprising this happened at the next time masses of French people were bunched together in public.
    But it's early, and there's much more horrible detail to be learned.

5. Michael_ Gee

Dick, you are much more likely to die in an incident like this if it's an 80-year old motorist having a coronary than in something like this, just as you are much more likely to die at the hands of a traditional American lone nut than an American Muslim lone nut. In either case, the probability is very low.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

8. Michael_ Gee

The first thing to do in case of emergency is switch off US cable news and go to BBC World or go online.

vicd likes this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Death total now at 75. Probably going to be near 100 by end of the night.

10. Michael_ Gee

Reports say the truck went more than a kilometer along the sidewalk before it was stopped. That's a terrible security fuckup.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

My first thought was that these gatherings ALWAYS are focused on keeping vehicles out. To let one in that goes for a mile is a colossal fuckup.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How fast was he going down that sidewalk? I'll assume that he wasn't on a leisurely 20 kph stroll. It may have taken most of that kilometer to slow him down.

Now, you'd figure the streets would've been closed off in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted