1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Several dead' after truck crashes into crowd at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice 'terror attack'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 14, 2016.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I look out for my neighbors, anyway. The bad guys are also likely to be politicians. Three former members of my town council are in the pokey for a bribery scam, and my longtime state senator is nicknamed "Rubbers" because he was charged with stealing condoms from a drug store during his first campaign back in the '80s. I have bigger problems than people's religion.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Exactly.

"He wasn't a strict Muslim," is not evidence that a terror attack wasn't inspired by Islam.

And it explains why the more religious a Muslim becomes, the more susceptible they are to radicalization.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Putting mosques under government surveillance would have done wonders with this guy.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Probably started as a dare between friends playing Pokemon Go.

5. YankeeFan

Any word on motive?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Conservative backlash!!!!!

This is part of the corruption of Trump. He called Ted Cruz a liar every day and in every way for months (it used to be considered a breach in decorum to straight up call an opponent a liar, never mind use it as a nickname). The insults against his wife, the cavalier birtherism, the disgusting JFK-assassination theories about his dad: These things are known. And yet the big conversation of the day is Ted Cruz’s un-sportsmanlike behavior? For real? But forget Cruz for a moment. For over a year, Trump has degraded politics in some of the most vile ways. His respect for the Republican party as the home of conservatism is on par with Napoleon’s respect for churches when he converted them into stables.

But that’s okay because he’s Trump. He’s a “winner.” And now that he’s the nominee, the Smart Set and the Mob is telling me that Cruz is the outrageous violator of norms and good manners. Let’s all look down our noses at the sore loser everybody, as we bend the knee and make every apology possible for the sorest, most ungracious winner in American history. When I watch Trump’s kitchen cabinet of yes men rise from their “Thank you, sir, may I have another?” prostrations just long enough to talk about Cruz’s self-interestedness, I have to laugh. Where’s your shinebox, Governor Christie?

Ted Cruz has never been my favorite politician. And I am not so naïve that I don’t recognize the gamble Cruz is making.

But if the choice is between forgiving Ted Cruz’s obvious political calculation to become the standard bearer of an authentic conservatism or Donald Trump’s lizard-brain narcissism where no principle or cause outranks his own glandular desire to be worshipped like a conqueror atop the carcass of conservatism, I choose Ted.

I Choose Ted

7. YankeeFan

Wrong thread Geraldo.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

There is no wrong thread for Trump-bashing.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Please,how many millions of Muslims "become more religious" and don't become radicalized? Or is it only the radicals who become more religious and everyone else stays static?

Your hypothesis lacks any factual backing. (I admit my counter does as well) However I believe the chances that the vast majority of "new" Muslims, who study Islam more, do not become radicalized and want to be terrorists.

So is the premise that the more religious that a Jew, a Catholic, a Hindu, a Buddist becomes, that they do not become radicalized, while a Muslim does? That's just simple thinking.

10. YankeeFan

Doctrinal Islam is radical. So, as you become more religious, you become more radical, and buy into the violent nature of the religion.

The other religions you mentioned are not radical at their core. They don't call for violence. You don't see strict adherents of these religions become more radical as they become more pious.

These religions also don't offer you the rewards of heaven for indiscriminate murder, nor allow such to absolve previous sinful behavior.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted