1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Several Animals Were Harmed in the Making of This Motion Picture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I watched 4-5 episodes of Luck and then stopped DVRing it. Had high expectations, just moved too slow for me.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Apparently HBO got an offer they couldn't refuse.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG] is glad not all horses on HBO shows die young.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's a pretty good show ... pretty good, but not great considering some of the acting heavyweights involved.

But I agree that the racing sequences are beautifully shot, and that some of the performances are outstanding (Kevin Dunn should, and just might, win an Emmy as the wheelchair-bound rail bird).

I'm not all that sad to see it go, frankly. It's obviously nowhere near on the level of HBO's Big 3 (Sopranos, Wire, Deadwood) and even far below Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I wanted to like it when it was announced but it just hasn't taken hold of me. Normally, I'm a 9 p.m. Sunday night HBO viewer. After the first couple of episodes, it's more like about Wednesday "Oh yeah, Luck, I need to get around to watching that on OnDemand."

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's probably the reason Eastbound and Down is still on. They want to have a good relationship with Ferrell and McKay.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

HBO? They shoot horse shows, don't they?

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really like Treme, although I think that the Season 2 finale with Steve Zahn's monologue playing over a montage would have been a great series finale.

Luck has great moments, but is often tough to get into. I find myself replaying scenes a couple of times just to understand the mubmles, much less the plot. Shows like that need to find a loyal niche audience and quick and I just don't think it was there.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm the person who was enjoying Luck. Really enjoying it. The only person, apparently. :(

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Not at all. I was loving it. It was slow for the first 3-4 episodes, but everything kind of clicked with that big race scene in the fourth episode.

Yet another Milch project unfinished. Sucks.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Luck is the second show where I finally gave up and watched with the closed-captioning on.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I watched the pilot of Luck, and it struck me that you had to make the kind of investment you made for The Wire. You couldn't be halfway into it. You had to listen very closely or you missed something crucial.

The Wire was worth that investment. I concluded that Luck wasn't.

THAT thing, they NEED to cancel. Five dead horses this year? Nine dead horses in 2006? At least one dead every year in between? Too much. My god, horses died of a broken neck and a broken back this year. That's gruesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted