1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seven Sportswriters Who

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think you can make that argument. I'm not sure I would.

In terms of influence, if that's what we mean by 'impact'?

Kahn.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Sam Smith also said "The Jordan Rules" wouldn't exist without "Breaks of the Game."

Moving on, I've also heard it argued on this board that writers have embarrassed themselves trying to emulate Charlie Pierce. So where does Mr. Pierce fall?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought about Heinz. But the reason I did not include him is because he I wondered how widely known he is. David Halberstam was the editor for a book that was an anthology of the Best Sports Writing of the Century (highly recommended). In the introduction he talked about how he was unaware of Heinz until he started the book and was blown away at how good he was. If Halberstam, who was a huge sports fan. was unfamiliar with Heinz is remembered enough to be influential.

Having said that as someone who is not a journalist but who has read a lot of sportswriters for 50 years if my son wanted to become a sports writer I would tell him to read Heinz. The guys on this list have an immense amount of talent. Jim Murray could write a hilarious column about how Cincinnati sucks. Dan Jenkins could overwrite a lead and it would work. But the guys who tried to emulate them fell on their ass because they do not have the same level of talent, even Rick Reilly.

Heinz, on the other had, has a clean style that does not get in the way of the narrative.

And he was the guy who helped the M.D. from Maine who wrote M*A*S*H produce a great book.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

First ballot Hall of Fame for sure.

But inimitable. Literally. Cannot be imitated.

An influencer? Maybe. Trying to be smart and funny is as old as sports writing.

5. LanceyHoward

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think Heinz has been overlooked by some, and at times, and I might be overstating his influence on the profession because of his influence on me. But the congregation of the Church of Heinz is a large one today, thanks in large part to some late-life corrections by Jeff MacGregor. I think you would find Death of a Race Horse in the talisman folders of many, many writers.

7. typefitter

I'm realizing that it's almost impossible to remove personal bias from this discussion. I can't stand Grantland Rice's writing for the most part. I can see what he did for the calling, but if we can have only seven, I would remove him for Heinz in a heartbeat.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

what ever happened to Jeff MacGregor? Always enjoyed his stuff, which isn't for everyone.

9. LanceyHoward

MacGregor is at the Smithsonian.

And I think his feature on Heinz is a cup of tea anyone can enjoy.

https://www.si.com/vault/2000/09/25/288493/heavyweight-champion-of-the-word-in-an-era-when-americas-great-sportswriters-were-as-big-as-the-athletes-they-covered-wc-heinz-may-have-been-the-best-of-the-bunchHeavyweight Champion of the Word In an era when America's great sportswriters were as big as the athletes they covered, W.C. Heinz may have been the best of the bunch

And since I am in the SI Archives anyway I dug up Reilly at his very best on Jim Murray.

KING OF THE SPORTS PAGE

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

Welp, there goes my day, down into the never-ending awesomeness of the SI Vault.

11. typefitter

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

typefitter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted