1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Settlement in Hypnotizing Principal, Dead Students Case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

This goes back a ways, but I don't recall it being discussed here and a cursory search didn't turn anything up.

A school district in Florida (yes, Florida) reached a settlement with the families of 3 teenagers who committed suicide, who had all been hypnotized by the school principal, one of them dying a day after being hypnotized.

Hypnotized high school students, suicides involved in settlement

Some strange stuff for certain...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The families could not sue Kenney himself because school district employees are considered an extension of the School Board under the law. The only entity families could sue was the school district.

Mallard noted that the $200,000 awarded to each family is the maximum any Florida government agency can pay without getting special approval from the Legislature and governor.

Man, $200,000 ain't much for the life of your child.
    The school board (and especially Kenney) got off easy.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

So, if a teacher or principal sets your house on fire or drives drunk and hits you, you aren't allowed to sue for damages in the state of Florida? Or is it only when said assholery is performed in his official capacity as principal as the hypnosis was?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Baron thinks the guy should still be principal. There was no clause in the administrative guide about not hypnotizing your students into suicide.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, it's worse than that. You can't sue the principal because the school board shields him.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ben Carson would have never let some principal hypnotize him.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

So I'll repeat my question. If this principal came and burned my house down or he drove drunk and killed my child, would I seriously not be allowed to sue him because his job gives him immunity? Or does the incident have to happen when he's on the clock? (And even then, would he be shielded from charges if he performed the aforementioned atrocities?

Draft saved Draft deleted