1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Settle down, Junior

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, Dec 20, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The "untracked" thread got me thinking about my biggest pet peeve, and it has gone completely off the rails in the past year or so. From little league to the pros, players have resorted to wearing "Beckham Jr." or "Griffin III" on the back of their jerseys. It drives me bonkers. NO! You are Odell Jr. and Robert III. There are thousands upon thousands of Beckhams and Griffins. The modifier is for your FIRST name. Stop.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It really jumped the shark when Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith started going by "Steve Smith Sr."

BDC99 likes this.
  3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Some years back in WWE (I know, I know) Chavo Guerrero Jr.'s dad started calling himself Chavo Classic. Solid heel heat.

Ken Griffey Classic
    Tony Gwynn Classic

I like it.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Not that I'd ever wear a faux uniform, but Odell the Original would work, too, for his dad.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I kind of get what you are saying. If two people were talking about someone who happened to be a junior, they would say 'Odell Jr.' to clarify whom they were referring to. But I take the names on the back just as a shortened version of the full name and it makes sense that it is just the full name without the first name a me middle initial. What other instances do people refer to Joe Jr. or Joe III?

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

On the back of the jersey of Rico Gathers, a stud of a basketball player at Baylor, it says "Gathers Sr." He and his wife have a son, Rico Gathers Jr.

7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I always thought the use of the suffix is needed if you reference the senior.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It is the opposite. Joe Blow was born Joe Blow and shouldn't be referred to as anything else. Joe Blow Jr. is his given name and should always be referred to as Joe Blow Jr.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Naming your kid after yourself in the first place is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

You don't call him Robert III Griffin either, though. He's not the third Robert. He's the third Robert Griffin. You put it after the surname when writing it out, so that's probably why they started doing it on uniforms.

Personally, I think it's stupid unless a clarification is needed - like the Griffeys. But do we really need to know that Steve Smith has a son named Steve Jr.?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why is that? I'm a III who didn't go with the IV, but I've always been proud of the fact that my dad passed along his name to me.

SFIND likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I feel like the kids are saddled with a predetermined identity, for the most part.

Kind of like how I used to hate the teachers who had my brother the previous year. "Oh, you must be Shithead's little brother." "Well, yes, but I'm like a whole other separate person."

Draft saved Draft deleted