1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Settle a debate for me: Best Jonas Gray Pop Culture Reference? AKA Weezer Sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I just saw Weezer in concert at Foxwoods and it was fantastic. Place was packed, very eclectic crowd - age range was 20 somethings to guys in their 50s. Saw some dads and like 10-year old kids.
    Anyway, my point - which Schieza glossed over - was the most relevant pop culture reference -which would be totally hacky - would be Weezer because that's who your demographic would be. That spun off into an argument which made me realize Schieza doesn't understand what the term Pop Culture means.
    He's still my boy though. And that argument wasn't nearly as bad as some of the ones we used to have in the office back in the day.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

His best album, too.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Still disagree. It's an album track, even though the album was great. Never released as a single. No pop culture recognition.

Most relevant, and hacky, would be a '50 Shades of gray' reference.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not that it negates your over all point or to say that Weezer compares to these guys, but Stevie Wonder didn't release Isn't She Lovely as a single. Nor did Hendrix with Voodoo Chile. The Beatles didn't with A Day in the Life and Out in the Street wasn't a single for Springsteen.

A song doesn't have to be a single to become a cultural touchstone.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Stairway to Heaven," of course, trumps all of those in terms of fame for a non-single.

Draft saved Draft deleted