1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Settle a debate for me: Best Jonas Gray Pop Culture Reference? AKA Weezer Sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Nov 18, 2014.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Hey all. So Rhody and I have been arguing all day about the band Weezer.
    More specifically, we're discussing last night's Patriots game and what would have been the best pop culture reference to make given the performance of Jonas Gray and the fact that his name is easy fodder for headlines/ledes in sports stories.
    Rhody believes, somehow, that the band Weezer is the route to go because (apparently) they had a song called "My name is Jonas" from the Blue Album that I contend no one under the age of 30 will get/remember without having to look up (The song, not the album)
    He swears up and down that not only were Weezer so relevant that everyone will automatically get the reference but that they are STILL so relevant today that they sell out concerts and are still a huge band.
    I call bullshit.
    First off, while I'm not shitting on Weezer or their accomplishments, let's be honest here. They haven't been relevant since the late 90s. Secondly, we're not talking about the Beatles here. We're talking about a decent band with a handful of hits. NONE of which were "My name is Jonas."
    Lastly, in no way, shape or form is an obscure song from this band a more appropriate or relevant pop culture reference than 1.) The Jonas Brothers (Who Rhody and I agree are irrelevant today but, in my opinion, are a better reference if you have to go to one of the two) or 2.) The 50 Shades of Gray book series.
    In fact, I'd argue that particular Weezer song is so far removed from pop culture, that NO ONE except Rhody and maybe the five Weezer fans left would get it. Before I went to that well, I'd make a 1.) Grey's Anatomy reference, 2.) A Sasha Gray reference, 3.) A Joan of Arc reference and/or 4.) A play on how similar the words "Gray" and "Great" are.
    Your thoughts?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Gray Balls of Fire.

Goodness gracious.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Weezer might be the most-played band on alt-rock radio. (Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins are the other candidates.) "My Name Is Jonas" is probably at least as recognized as any of their song titles other than "Buddy Holly" and "Say It Ain't So." It's just a really well-known album-opener, aided by the fact that his name is neither Jonas nor Wakefield.

References to it globbed up my timeline, but I follow a lot of people ages 25 through 45, and 1990s Weezer is very big with that crowd.

As far as headlines, why not try to avoid making the same jokes as everyone else?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heard on the radio Gray once opened for Dustin Diamond during a comedy show at Notre Dame.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Rhody is right.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Great song. Not one of their bigger hits though...

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Their new album is actually pretty good.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Who's Weezer?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I really like Weezer, but they are no longer a household name, if they ever were.

And although that is a great song, it has no current relevance. No one would get it, including a lot of people who were in their early 20s when that album came out.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Weezer does not suck.
    They're fun, satirical, catchy and more original than any of the diarrhea being played on the radio these days.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm pretty surprised to look it up and see the Blue Album only went triple platinum. It seemed like everyone I knew had it and listened to it constantly.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I just want to know if you went with the Sasha Grey reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted