1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Setting records vs. Sportsmanship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just to play devil's advocate, Wilt would not have scored 100 points if the rest of the Warriors, aware that the century mark was a possibility, hadn't followed orders to get him the ball at every opportunity. It was hardly an "accidental" accomplishment.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

I don't know if minutes are as important as how many shots this guy takes. To me, if he's throwing up 20-plus shots in the fourth quarter, that'd be a problem

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wilt also played every single second of every single game that year -- except for one game when he got thrown out in the third quarter.

From what I've read about the season (I was 3 at the time, so not really paying attention to the sports page every day), this was not really a source of much controversy. At that time, the conventional wisdom was "your best players play all the time."

Back to the original topic, I'd ask the question, "what happens if Junior gets low-bridged in one of these 50-point games, with 30 seconds to play?"

And I'd ask it in several stories in a row. High school kids read the paper, and sometimes they get ideas. ;) ;)

4. The Basement

The Basement Member

i guess i'm alone in thinking that if you don't like someone dropping 40 points on your ass, you do something about it. I don't care if he's the best player in the state, if your team sucks ass and his is going to win state, it is possible in the game of basketball (and within the rules) to stop someone. Or at least make them not want to play when they're up by 50.

if the kid wants to play, if the coach/father wants him to play, and he plays - so what? perhaps you should talk to the opponents and find out why they couldn't handle their business. and dont go to the coaches, ask the players. they're the ones getting roasted.

i do think that good or great players shouldn't be penalized for their opposition sucking. that's why i refuse to knock the Bears, despite the fact they play in the NFC North and beat hardly anyone with a winning record. Not their fault.

i like the idea that "records should be accidents" - but sometimes, and i'd venture to say oftentimes, they're not when it comes to season or career records. Pete Rose's record wasn't an accident. Karl Malone being No. 2 all time in scoring wasn't an accident. Barry Bonds' single season HF record wasn't an accident and him passing Ruth this year surely isn't an accident.

we can't be naive enough to think that every great thing an individual does in a game comes within the "flow" of that game ... or that season ... or that career.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What about Wilt's other record?

6. The Basement

The Basement Member

i think that was definitely accomplished within the natural flow of the game

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Only thing I would say is this -- don't go in with the idea of "Fuck Dad." That's no way to go about a column. You present the facts, provide an opinion. But if you enter with a hatchet job in mind, you're not being a good journalist.

And as was mentioned before ... you've got to give the coach/father a chance to respond in that column. Something about balanced reporting, I think.

Anyone care to dispute that? Or was the earlier stuff just posturing from people who would never actually write that column?

8. Oh, come on, Shotty. That's the Jay Mariotti special. If it works for Jay, it can work for Mooninite. ::)

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Shot has the definitive point here. It's not our job to "fuck" anybody. Well..nevermind.

But just attacking someone for the sake of doing isn't right. Make your point and do so professionally. I also agree that you give him the chance to explain his actions. The theory goes, let him hang himself, you don't need to do it for him.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Another problem with trying to get this record is that it can screw up your offense. So you not only have to ask the question whether it is ethical/moral, you have to ask if it is smart.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In the pros, absolutely. But then even stars get rested in blowouts so some clumsy injury doesn't happen.

But in high school, sports is part of the education process and they play by different rules.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You need to go back and type in agate and leave the writing to those of us who type in capsules. ;)

Yes, I have written that column before. And I have got the facts -- both teams, both coaches and presented them. And I've called out dad/coach for doing the wrong thing for his son/player.

You can still say that what he is doing is wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted