1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE's at one-man sports desks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I was a one-man department at my first stop. I got OT the first year; they made me salary when I got my first raise (a bad tradeoff for me). After a few years, my ME called me in and said they wanted to make me hourly in the summer, salaried the rest of the year. I drew the line there.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's legal? If you put that up to a labor board or something, they'd almost have to come right out and say "well, we want him to work free overtime when we need it, but we don't want to pay him a cent more than we have to in the summer when it's less busy." Which is the unstated goal of most businesses -- don't pay more than you have to -- but this is pretty blatant and I can't imagine a palatable explaination that would hold water should you have made a legal stink over it.

3. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

No doubt it wasn't legal. And I should have made more of it. You live, you learn, I guess.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've been told, at least in my state, for you to be labeled "salary," you have to have at least two people working under you.

There obviously are ways to get around that. When I was SE of a two-man staff, they "made" one of the photogs "under me" so they could give me the tag.

Now at a one-man gig, it really doesn't matter -- they just cut out all overtime and all comp pay. So we get paid 40 hours a week regardless of what we work.

That's the way the ASE and No. 3 guy were set up at my last gig. SE was salary, the rest just get paid for 40 hours, period.

Draft saved Draft deleted