1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

seriously?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Apr 17, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Just saw this on Yahoo's front page. It was an article about good jobs for people who want to work nights.

Newspaper Visual Journalist

A crew of designers often takes over the newsroom in the evening to place stories, along with photos and other graphic elements, on the next day's newspaper pages. Ideal candidates should have some technical savvy and a graphically-oriented eye. "You need to understand the basics of design and know a fair amount about computer programs, such as Quark XPress and CCI," says Elise Burroughs, executive director of the Society for News Design, a professional organization for visual journalists. Most visual journalists have college degrees, usually in journalism, art or graphic design.
    Average annual salary (based on "editor" positions): $51,750.

Two things:
    1) I've never been called a "Newspaper Visual Journalist"
    2) $51,750? Where the fuck can I get paid that much as a page designer?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nowhere. This is why yahoo is losing a lot of money.

3. whut?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nuthin'.

5. Did ya see my full member?

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

7. A place where the cost of living is about $75K.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Methinks y'all missed this part:

Average annual salary (based on "editor" positions): $51,750.

Of course, "editor" is not the job description they gave, so it's a moot point.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, there are a lot of papers where designers make more than 51K. Again, how much you make in this business depends on market, size of the paper and cost of living in the area.

And it's not a moot point Barsuk because at many of those places designers' pay scales are based on editors' pay scales.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's cute.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I make more than that as a copy editor/page designer. I do page design 1-3 times a week and am on the sports copy desk 5 nights a week.
    But with our production agreement with another paper, I get to do page design the old fashioned way -- with paper and pencil, then I scan & e-mail (or fax) my designs to someone else who will paginate it based on my design. Plus with the pagination system, the paginator can't access wire photos directly he needs them sent into the system. So I pick the photos, use a pica rule to measure & size the photos and then send them up to be taken care of by the photo desk at the other paper. Gotta love modern technology.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Some editors design pages every night.

Draft saved Draft deleted