1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seriously...what's the use of cheerleaders?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Pretty much their job is to dance during a TV timeout so that the straight male fans can blame their semi-hard on on something else besides a good football game.

That way, everyone stays happier.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Come tell that to the cheerleaders at Podunk High and Podunk Community College. I don't know if I've ever seen quieter groups of cheerleaders. This past weekend, the crowd at the juco game started a cheer themselves and then the cheerleaders picked it up. I turned to the stats guy and said, "We should be calling them cheerfollowers." He said that his wife has been pissed off about taking his daughter to high-school cheerleading practice at 6 in the morning only to watch her stand around and do nothing during the game. And each of the first three weeks, it's rained during the high school game, which pisses her off even more.

PCC dropped its dance squad this year. The coach had a baby about a month before school started and they couldn't find someone to fill in. They did honor the scholarships but with the cuts they've had to make, I imagine there won't be a team next year and I doubt anyone will miss it.

Based on that, I'm gonna say "No real use at all".

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Beyond the eye-candy part of it and stoppage entertainment, they are a means of branding and outreach for NFL teams--much like the mascot. They have a calendar, they go to community events, they do philanthropy.

And I know in the NFL cities I've lived, it wasn't an easy gig. You had to be a full-time student or hold a full-time job to be eligible. There were morals clauses as a representatives of the team.

And, up close, a lot of them weren't any better than sixes, probably because they were decent dancers. Of course, you don't see them on TV, either.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Appearances during the week to promote the team.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can break into sitcom acting.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My all-time favorite cheerleader promotional appearance is still the two Carolina Panther cheerleaders getting it on in that bar bathroom stall.

How could you not want to watch the Panthers after that?

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

From 2005:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are the cheerleaders somehow infringing upon your ability to enjoy the game?

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'd rather have an athlete if I was hosting the appearance.

To a point...yes. It's wasting seconds of time during a TV broadcast where I could see more of the game or another highlight

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's the other way around.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm sure you would but good luck finding guys who want to do appearances every week.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're assuming if they replaced all the TV shots of the cheerleaders, the replacement content would be live game action or relevant replays?
    That seems like a pretty wild premise. I'm 42 years old, and in my life I have never seen a shred of evidence that indicates the NFL wants to improve the viewing experience for the serious sports fan.
    As far as the NFL is concerned, you're a rube. They've already got you, so they see no reason to enhance your enjoyment.
    Quite the opposite: they're trying to enhance the viewing experience for people who don't really like the game, and they're more than willing to detract from your enjoyment to make it happen. They've already got you, so not only are they unwilling to make the game more enjoyable for you, they're betting you'll eat a mile of turd before you ever stop watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted