1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seriously? Really? You're gonna do that a news conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Granny, Feb 4, 2009.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

So, my boss sends me out to a local HS to write a column on a local kid going Division I BM (or whatever they're calling DI-AA these days). Asking questions, so on. So forth. And the guy from one of the other papers (there were 3 print and 2 TV there), while we all still have our recorders on and there are still plenty of the people in the room, walks up to the football player and says, "Thanks for changing your mind [and attending Rickshaw State]. I covered four or five [Rickshaw State] games last year. So I'll see you a few times this year."

We played that portion of the tape about 50 times at the office today when I got back.

I vomited in my mouth a little bit. Sorry, had to vent.

2. Babs

Babs Member

I've heard much worse though.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Just the first time it's happened right in front of my ample bosom.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Better an ample bosom than junk in the trunk.

And at least he didn't ask the kid for a t-shirt.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I don't know that I have a problem with saying, "See you around." Thanking the kid, on the other hand ...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not saying that was the right thing to do, but I've seen much, much worse...

7. micke77

micke77 Member

Thanking the kid for changing his mind....?...oh my. that's about as bad as the Phoenix radio dude/alleged accredited member of the media at the SB. would someone grab me a bucket so i can throw up.
    i had to deal with some fanboys wearing team colors, etc., yesterday at the signing day luncheon of the D-I school i cover.
    thankfully, the media conference with the coach didn't have any such individuals as you mentioned.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Jesus, that makes me thankful for the signing day celebration. Me, six kids going DI from the same school and a room full of their friends and parents.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

aw, the joys of living in Shitsville, where we got a grand total of 2 signings (one track, one women's soccer).

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

"Shitsville."

I love it!!

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does anyone have to cover "signings" for juco's or NAIA schools?

12. micke77

micke77 Member

Stitch...oh hell yes. i covered three NAIA signings during last basketball season. at one of 'em, the coach (they can be in photos and at signings unlike NCAA gigs) showed up an hour late, then joked about how they don't have the money NCAA schools do, so couldn't arrive in university jet.
    and yesterday, we had a local prep football player ink with a regional juco.
    but i don't care who these NAIA or juco guys sign, it's like Joe Blow at Local Prep Academy is going to be their next super stud and they carry on profusely about 'em. which I realize is the protocol to pump up the local prep coach, parents, etc. but many times, said athlete is barely getting out of high school. again, the overhyping of signing periods.

Draft saved Draft deleted