1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seriously, does anyone care?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MC Sports Guy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Yet another story like this creeps across the wire. Who gives a shit?

Mayors put food on the line in Bears-Seahawks contest
    With BC-FBN--Bears-Seahawks Wager-Summary Box
    CHICAGO (AP) — When the Chicago Bears host the Seattle Seahawks at Soldier Field this weekend, there’s more at stake than just an NFC playoff game.
    Also on the line are mega cuts of meat from some of Chicago’s finest restaurants, pounds of hot dogs, deep-dish pizza, smoked salmon, booze, coffee and other delicacies.
    Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley and Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels on Thursday each wagered some of their city’s finest gastronomical delights on the outcome of Sunday’s game.
    Daley is counting on the Bears to deny Nickels the bounty of Chicago fare.
    “I know he’s going to be disappointed when he doesn’t win all of them,” said Daley at a City Hall press conference to display the goodies.
    Nickels said Daley, who will attend the game, is the one who shouldn’t get his hopes up.
    “I hope he doesn’t have his heart set on Northwest salmon,” Nickels said in a written statement.
    Seattle’s offer includes two pounds of smoked king salmon, three bottle of Washington state wine, cheese and, of course, Starbucks coffee.
    Chicago’s wager of donated food also included Italian beef, potato chips, gourmet pretzels and popcorn, and Mexican food.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's interesting, but it won't run in our paper...

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Watch out for that line if you do run it.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think they're funny.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am sure it was interesting the first time, but at this point I could really care less. Plus, who pays for the stuff? Is it donated or are the taxpayers paying for it?

6. I don't have a problem running a couple of graphs in a notes package if you have a local team involved. It's crap for anyone else.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't usually run them, unless there's a local tie.
    But I always like to read about it. I like to see what items a city uses to identify itself.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nickels should offer Microsoft to get back Boeing. Double or nothing!

9. tommyp

tommyp Member

I'd honestly like to see what happens to these prizes...follow the 'donation.'

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

Don't you think that if you found it interesting, others might as well and therefore is worth publishing?

Personally, I wouldn't run them, even with the local tie-in, because what started as fun became part of the political machine. It was my way of resisting that without withholding crucial information to the public

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't always use what I find interesting as a measure of what the readers find interesting.
    I have no interest in auto racing, but a lot of people are into it.
    I like the NHL. People around could care less.
    Same thing with these 'bets.' I always like to find out what's being bet, but I assume most people, outside of the areas in question, don't care.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

AP loves this shit, though. Someone in Chicago probably climaxed just writing the word gastronomical.

It takes their minds off getting kicked like a stray dog by the New York bureau.

Draft saved Draft deleted