1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seriously, AP?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I know that the opening day at Yankee Stadium was a big deal, but you couldn't see your way clear to take ONE GODDAMN PICTURE of Cliff Lee, even though you moved a whole sidebar on him? It's not like he won the fuckin' Cy Young Award.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

But But But .... It's the new Yankee Stadium!

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How about more than 5 photos on the Dallas-San Antonio game? Also, is the AP photog aware that Dallas won the game? Sure as fuck can't tell based on the pictures.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No photos in the last two hours from the Celtics-Bulls game? Did they only shoot the first half?

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Reviving old thread since I just saw this in stories today (I've been on Olympic duty the last week+ and haven't seen this til now):

So...WTF is the AP Pro32? And why are they putting a team's ranking in every.single.story?!

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The AP's exceedingly obnoxious power rankings. Get used to them; they'll be here all year.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Another bullshit stat like the "rating" for stock car races. Aren't the standings "power rankings" enough? Or will AP do its own "Who's now?" next summer?

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I probably wouldn't mind this kind of stuff if AP wasn't so noticeably deficient in other areas.

Fine, cut your staff and take forever to get stories to us. Use a bunch of freelance photogs who don't know what "variety" means and couldn't caption a photo to save their lives. But don't think you can make up for it with AP NewsNows that can't fill a 5-inch hole and your meaningless NFL power rankings.

9. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

The AP 32 is just one more thing I have to remove from every NFL story I run. I'm looking forward to the NFL This Week story and NFL capsules each week. It's great. I'd like to know who thought it was a good idea so I could kick them in the nuts though.

Kind of like the ALL CAPS I have to fix in every MLB, NBA, NHL, etc. roundup. I've taken to doing them myself more often as it's just easier because the scorelines aren't capitalized in the individual stories only the roundups or capsules.

The worst part is that there are days when they aren't in ALL CAPS, so the it's the coding BS they gave me is a pretty much a lie.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup. The directive has gone out to make sure to include them.

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Now you've done it. You've gone and assumed that AP photogs know how to write captions to save their lives.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was about to start a thread on this, but since it's here ...

Screw the AP Pro32 AND any stuffed shirt who decided that the rankings had to be included in any story. What a colossal pain in the ass.

We might actually have run the AP Pro32 weekly if they hadn't done this. But if they're going to stuff it down our throats ... screw them.

Draft saved Draft deleted