1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious thread on Amish killings here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Oct 5, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don;t know why, but after reading that I thought immediately of this, the last paragraph of Lincoln's 1st Innaugural

2. Because you're smart and well-read?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Given some of the talk in the other threads, why not set the ground rule for this one? We do it for the baseball threads.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed... and that was a wonderful action on their part...

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Agreed.

There's a tiny little Amish community about 15 miles south of here (the restaurant has the best damn fried chicken, rolls and pie in the world). My family and I spent a day there once. Nicest people you'd meet. Went to the hardware store, a couple of other places, an antique store, etc. People there just strike up conversations with you, and the sincerity they display in genuine. If I showed half the generosity these people have, my ticket to heaven would have been punched long ago.

Did I mention the pie?

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i have never looked at amish lifestyle or other so-called simpler lifestyles as backward, just different than mine. the luddite in me appreciates the good in those lifestyles.

as pointed out another thread, i know all groups have their issues, but there are admirable qualities (i.e. forgiveness in the face of such tragedy) that warm the heart and mind. makes me a feel a little bit better about humanity.

7. swenk

swenk Member

In a media world where victims and survivors and witnesses and so-called friends/relatives immediately start the clock on their fifteen minutes of fame, it's touching to see the grace and dignity with which these people honor their privacy. No cameras, no interviews, no instant celebrities.

Sad reminder that it's possible to suffer unthinkable tragedy without becoming famous.

Draft saved Draft deleted