1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious thread on Amish killings here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

There is no questioning the tragedy of what happened, but as I peruse the AP photo wire from today's funerals, I have a different perspective on these people. I live in northern Indiana and there are a lot of Amish communities around here and we run into Amish all the time at the grocery, hospitals, restaurants and I have always kind of rolled my eyes because I really think this is a backward and ridiculous way of life.
    But, that said, seeing the pictures of families and the children has be realizing that they are people too and their three-year-old sons are loved just like I love my three-year-old son. Losing a child is something I never want to EVER have to go through and I just hope these people find some sort of peace.
    That is all. Sorry to get all serious.

2. Drock

Drock Member

Amish, Irish, Muslim, Baptist, Chinese, whatever, tragedy is tragedy.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you drock.

Although I do wonder if there's a even greater sense of horror among a people who spurn most modern experiences.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I'm guessing the sense of loss might be even greater for the community since these people are so isolated (or insolated). I'm not expert, but it seems like all they have are each other in their small communities.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's exactly what I was thinking. Such a violent intrusion into their world is unsettling by itself, next to the loss of those girls.

6. If they truly have insisted that some of the money from their victims-assistance fund go to the family and children of the killer, then these people are more truly Christian than anyone since the Founder split.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That is truly some divine grace that I can get behind.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Everything they have said indicates they really are trying to be forgiving all the way around.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

all the more reason my first reaction hasn't changed:

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm not shitting you. Reading that brought a tear to my eye. What a wonderful gesture.

11. king --
    Me, too. But "gesture" is too weak a word, I think.
    They are doing it as a demonstration of their faith in action. It is a deeply, profoundly religious act.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Great thread title. [/sarcasm]

Were there people looking for a playful thread on Amish killings?

Draft saved Draft deleted