1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

serious pro bowl news -- really!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

They should make the Pro Bowl a flag football game. Just keep it out of the sand.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They shouldn't play this game, period. Twenty percent of the players chosen didn't even show up. That tells you where the players' priorities are with respect to this game. Why go to Hawaii and work when you can go to Hawaii some other time and play?

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

Yes, it was Edwards...but his career continued, albeit in Canada:

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=526

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My idea is to scrap the game and let the Pro Bowl squads compete in a match play AFC-NFC golf competition a la the Ryder Cup.
    We could call it the Del Greco Cup, after perennail celeb kicker/golfer Al.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Exactly. You still name the players to the team and it's still a great honor and there would still be incentives in contracts. The point has also been made many times before, with the money these guys make now a free trip to Hawaii doesn't have quite the same appeal it use to, especially because they have to deal with the media and practices all week. Most of these guys would probably rather take a 3-week trip to some secluded island in the Carribbean on their own dime anyways.

The way I look at it, they name All-American teams in college, and there is no "All-American Game" yet the honor is not compromised at all. Hell, have them go to Hawaii and do the golf thing that was suggested or just the skills competitions, people would probably be more interested in watching that the game anyways.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Here's the real question: Why didn't CBS figure out how to mike the game better so I didn't have to listen to a kid yelling for a Steve Smith autograph throughout the fourth quarter?
    Only had the game on in the background while doing some work, but I'll be haunted for a while by pre-pubescent screams of "STEEEEEEVE! STEEEEEEEEEVE!!! STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVE!"

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, they SHOULD make it a one-hand touch football game, and play it on Waikiki Beach.

Draft saved Draft deleted