1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

serious pro bowl news -- really!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Feb 10, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

drew brees dislocated his left (non-throwing) elbow.

WHY IN TARNATION DO THEY PLAY THIS GAME?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Drew Brees ever makes the Super Bowl, you just know he's going to become the first starting QB to ever suffer a career-ending injury in the biggest game of all.

Make sure to have Todd Bouman warming up!!!

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

if brees was hurt in an off-season basketball game, he'd get ripped for playing in a meaningless pick-up game. the pro bowl is no different -- other than it's league-sanctioned.

if i was a coach or gm or owner, i'd beg all my players not to go to the pro bowl. it's pretty amazing this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. imagine the outrage if it had been another injury to drew's throwing arm?

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Anyone see the hit Sean Taylor laid on the Buffalo punter? Totally uncalled for.

Yeah, I'm a dork who watched it.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Dislocated elbows are big deals, though they are fun to put back in place. The rehab takes a fair amount of time as you balance the healing of the ligaments that hold the joint stable with the loss of range of motion that occurs by immobilizing the joint. As well, flecks of bone can be lodged in the joint when it is reduced causing chronic issues like pain and swelling. Most are treated without an operation, but the rehab time may be measured in months.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Will Brees' recovery time be lessened because it's his non-throwing arm?

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Wait...they played it already?

Since when is the Pro Bowl on a Saturday?

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oh my GAWD was that a vicious hit. I wonder if he'll get fined for that.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sean Taylor's rep as a punk continues to grow. Good grief ...

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Brees worked his ass off coming off shoulder surgery and was the consummate pro in his first year with the Saints.

This sucks.

Anybody catch Sean Payton's reaction when this happened?

I understand why they play this game, but things like this make you wonder. It's a violent sport. And while players might be playing "full speed," for the most part, it's certainly not "full intensity."

Always thought it was a recipe for disaster.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

It looked like Brees' knee got the worst of it at first. That was a pretty nasty hit all the way around. Wasn't it Terrell Suggs?

12. joe

joe Active Member

All all-star games are bullshit, but the NFL version is the worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted