1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious moral dilemma

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 13, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There are only four people on this planet whom I give a shit what they think of me as a person ... my wife and daughter, obviously, my mother and my grandmother -- Granny.

The sweetest little Southern lady, Granny would probably only weigh a buck-twenty-five if she carried a couple of bricks in his pockets. She LOVES sweet tea, only slightly less than martinis, margaritas and Bourbon. She still pinches my cheeks and can barely see over the dash of her Lincoln.

Last year, at 75, I caught her on top of the house, cleaning the gutters and told me to "kiss her foot" when I told her to get her rear end off the house.

Here's my problem.

Granny's sent me a friend request on Facebook.

Do I confirm Granny's request and risk her seeing something she might not want to see, like a less-than-flattering photo, or read something one of my vulgar friends writes on my wall?

Or, do I ignore Granny's request and play it off when she asks about it? "No, ma'am. I didn't get your friend request. Something must've happened." and play on her less-than-perfect computer/interweb skills?

On the other hand, can you really tell your grandmother "no?"

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just friend her. The woman is 75, cleans her own gutters and drinks bourbon. There ain't a thing any of your vulgar friends can put on your wall that she hasn't seen in her 75 years.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

TBR nailed it.

Your grandma isn't dumb, give her some credit.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The question might be, are you prepared to see what Granny and her vulgar friends are up to?

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You can add her and restrict what is visible to her on your page.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'd offer you some advice, but I'm still doubled over laughing at the vision of a 75-year-old granny on the roof hollering "Kiss my foot!" at her soldier grandson. :)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

TWIW .... without pics of granny cleaning the gutters.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

One more vote for adding her, t_b_f.

At my very Southern grandmother's 90th birthday party, when we had finished toasting her , someone asked if she wanted to make a toast. Her choice: "Here's to love and unity, dark corners and opportunity."

Get over the notion you're going to shock your grandmother.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If you're really worried about it, this is the best option.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Oh, hell yes. They're retired, they're widowed and they have plenty of time to kill. Old folks get busy.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Add her and send her pieces of flair.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By the way, this is not a serious moral dilemma.

A serious moral dilemma might be if granny falls off the roof and conks her head and is in a coma in the hospital. You are in her will and need cash for an beer keg cooler that would go great in your garage and are wondering if you should help granny along.

She wouldn't want to live that way, probably won't recover and would want you to have a beer keg.

Draft saved Draft deleted