1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious computer help needed....my computer keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 25, 2010.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm getting this exact same message and problem. I figured it was a virus.

The way I see it, I have two choices: Spend bucks to have a computer guru clean it up; or I can reformat the hard drive and reinstall the software.

I hate to do that because I have thousands of iTunes on my computer, and I'm sure they won't fit onto my external hard drive.

2. HandsomeHarley

Funny thing is, I installed MalwareBytes, and my computer started acting up soon after.

I usually run Spybot, but Spybot says it finds no errors. I tried to run MalwarBytes a couple of times, but the computer crashes before it can finish running.

BTW, I also have a Windows XP desktop.

3. HandsomeHarley

I tried the Restore option, but it only would let me Restore back to last Saturday. And the problem is still on my computer.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I ran MalwarBytes four times tonight and I had the same problem. Crashed every time before it could finish. I restored my computer back to the beginning of December 09. Maybe I should go back further but I'm not sure that will help

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Get a new internal hard drive installed, install Windows on it, spend a couple days until all of the updates are finished, then move over the data from the old disk you need and format the old disk.

An average hard drive is less than $100. You'll more than double your disk space, get rid of the problem with the virus and your system will probably run faster.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Malwarebytes runs well on my Vista desktop -- to a point. It gets caught in a loop in the voice-to-print software in the computer... gets caught in the speech folder for hours....even after an uninstall, a registry clean and reinstall...

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I just want to know why the laptop -- two months old -- gets so damned hot, so quickly.

Gives new definition to 'Roasted Nuts.'

8. I had a problem a few months back where my computer would just keep restarting itself. Desktop came up, icons came up, then bam, shutting down and restarting. I ended up finding that there was a problem in one of my startup programs and I removed it. Worked fine after that. My advice would be to first start the computer in safe mode, then take a look at which programs launch upon startup. If you see something in there that doesn't look right, remove it and reboot normally.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Modern multi-core processors generate lots of excess heat, which eventually leads to roasted processors and/or motherboards.

You may wish to look into something like this or that or maybe one of the other things.

Oh, and JR? I apologize: http://xkcd.com/694/
    ;D

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You are the man, sir, thank you for the advice.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where do you live? I'm coming to get you. :)

I think I may have to take this into a computer hospital. Probably not worth it, however.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Don't be so quick to write it off.

My computer is probably as old as yours (about five years old or so) and it still runs pretty good.

Of course, it would also depend how much it costs to fix it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted