1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious byline question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Something to consider for your byline is how Googleable (is that a word yet?) you want your stories to be. John Casper Jr.'s work as a reporter is No. 1 in a search for "John Casper Jr.," and makes up most of the first page of Google results. "John Casper" the reporter is on the first page, but it's one entry among John Casper the astronaut and others.

A future hiring editor could likely figure out that the John Casper he or she is looking at hiring (note to John Casper Jr.'s employer: this is only an example; as far as I know, he loves where he is and is never leaving) is not a former astronaut, but it's still nice and convenient to have his work appear so much more prominently in a search. As a hiring editor who has googled reporters in the hiring process, I like that very much. Remember, too, that Google results weight toward older, more linked entries, so if you have a common name like "Bob Cook" and are just starting out, no one is going to find you on Google for a while.

So, at the risk of sounding like Tim McCarver or Steve Stone, you younger reporters out there might consider using anything unique to your name -- a suffix like Jr., a middle initial, a nickname like "Squirrel Nuts" -- to boost your search profile.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Rachel Alexander went to Rachel Alexander Nichols when she was at the Post, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Now, at ESPN, she's just Rachel Nichols.

Sounded better the original way, IMHO. Just kind of rolls off the tongue better.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

By original way, what do you mean? Rachel Alexander or Rachel Alexander Nichols?

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Great pull.

And, I am ashamed to say I saw that move in theatres - twice.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

C. Vivian Stringer is fine with using the initial for the first name and the full middle name.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I will make no Rutgers jokes for fear of getting an extra two weeks vacation.

7. turnovers

turnovers Member

I always thought common names could be accented with initials just to distinguish the writer from someone else. But if you've got an oddball name anyway, no need to underscore it with your initial.

I will say Francis X. Clines at the Times may have the best initial.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you wanted to really distinguish yourself, go all-lowercase, like a.a. milne or hoops.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's the only time I've done it, and for the same reason . . . . .

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I use my nickname as my byline. I also use it in the masthead where it lists me as the managing editor. I also use staff writer for my byline instead of managing editor on news or sports stories.

I HATE pretension with a passion. To me, full first name and middle initial are pretentious. Using managing editor for my byline when I'm not writing a column is even more pretentious.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I am a middle initial guy.

I use it because on my checks and credit cards that's my name. No one speaks of me using the middle initial, but when my name is formally in print anyplace, my middle initial is there.

I can be called what ever I want.

12. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

as said before, i am a middle initial guy. but i did have a weird experience once as editor in chief of my college paper.

this guy barges into the office and marches right up into my face and starts yelling about some story we ran that ticked him off. so wondering how he knew i was the guy to acost, i asked him, "why are you getting in MY face?" (you know, as opposed to any other of the random people standing around).

and he goes, because you're so-and-so D. lastname.

it was the first time i ever heard anyone actually speak my byline. and i had to try and keep from laughing.

Draft saved Draft deleted