1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious byline question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, but we all know mia can ride the "bicycle."

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And your father probably won't.

When I worked for the AP, I went back home to Indianapolis to visit my parents, and my father, a coin collector, was raving about this story he read in the Star about some rare coins that were stolen. He wondered if I had heard about the story. I pointed to my byline and said, "Yeah, because I wrote it."

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The best (fictional) byline story I heard was Jim Tom Pinch refusing to work at the New York Times because it wanted him to change his byline to James Thomas Pinch.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did he know Jones could suck a ...?

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Absolutely, it's your byline and you can do whatever you want.

That said, it's pretentious as fucking hell.

7. John Casper Jr.

John Casper Jr. New Member

At the risk (albeit a very, very small one) of outing myself using my regular handle, I'm using my real name for this one.

As you can see, I use the Jr. suffix on my byline. I did it for a pretty stupid reason. In college, I thought it would be one small thing that made my clips stand out from others. Not that anyone hires on what a byline looks like, but for some reason it'd make me stand out. I also drank quite a bit in college, so that should explain some of it.

But I liked it enough I decided to stick with it. Came in handy when I got to my first full-time job and found out a prominent member of the community had the same name I did.

I don't think anything you do with a byline is pretentious. It's not like I don't respond to people if they don't use the Jr. when addressing me.

However, I do get quite annoyed when people put a comma before the Jr. Even though it's AP style, the small amount of awards I've won as well as many credentials all have the comma before the Jr.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Actually did this during college for some time to make fun of a buddy who used his seriously.
    Fun times.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I miss seeing George Arthur King III as a byline.

I also miss seeing the byline Buster Olney in the stuffy old NYTimes.

I always get a kick out of the occasional obit that says something like Howard Rance (Squirrel Nuts) McGee. Because none of his friends ever knew his real name was Howard. But they see that and say, "Damn, Squirrel Nuts died?"

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

[​IMG]

Bill S. Preston, Esq. would beg to differ.

11. Taylee

Taylee Member

The few people who go by first initial and middle name or first name and middle initial have been called that throughout the newsroom. Some get pissed by that.
    Two cases with women recently married (no not to each other). Photog kept her maiden name and reporter went the hyphenated way. May seem stupid, but a drawback of the hyphenated name is that unless the layout is at least a 5-on-6 format, her hyphenated name drops to a second line.
    By PRISCILLA
    NEWMAN-STEVENSON
    Pittsville Press-Union

12. girl friday

girl friday Member

I have a pretty unique first name, so I think it was easy to tell that it was the same person. And, like I said, I use my maiden and married names with my first, so if there was anyone paying attention, I don't think there was a lot of confusion.

That is hilarious, and illustrates my previous point that people only notice who wrote something when they want to complain about it...

Draft saved Draft deleted