1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious byline question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, C. can step to the fucking plate, to be honest.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Do what you want to do.
    Walter Wellesley Smith did.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you Buck Fuckin' Weaver.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thanks for stopping by, "Scoop" Jackson.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or is that: Fuckin'
    or is it: Fuckin' B. Weaver?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife, a feature writer and columnist, is known in her part of the world by three names, including her maiden name and her first husband's name.

Because she's a brand name, of sorts, I never was particularly interested in seeing her change her name to mine when we got married in 2004.

This summer, in observance of her ... _0th birthday, she's planning to drop the ex-husband's name and just go my her maiden name again. Which suits me fine.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I have a serious question here: when a woman with a byline or masthead name gets married and changes her name, how much recognition or credibility does she actually lose? When readers see "Jane Smith" instead of "Jane Jones" do they think it's a different person?

Obviously women with a higher profile are less likely to be affected, or perhaps would keep their original name as a professional name, but what about those who aren't as well known?

The best non-writing example I can come up with was Kate Sobrero of the US Women's National Soccer Team, who married and became Kate Markgraf. I like to think I follow the WNT regularly, but the first time she took to the field I honestly thought they had called up a new player. The announcers sounded like a broken record repeating "...the former Kate Sobrero..." so the audience would know who she was.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jane jones once sucked a golfball through a hose. jane smith, well, not so much.

needless to say, big difference between the two.

i hope this clears things up.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yes, but are readers able to catch on? If Jane Jones is the education reporter at the Podunk Press, and then one day the byline turns to Jane Smith, how far of a jump is that? What if she is Jane Jones Smith for a few weeks, then strictly Jane Smith? Does that ease whatever transition there may be?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

does it really matter if jones is sucking a golfball through a gardenhose?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I would think that, unless the female writer is an institution at said paper, the readers and such will adjust in due time. I've seen it a couple of times in newsrooms where I worked. The adjustment time wasn't too awkward.

Going back to your example, notice it didn't take too terribly long for fans to get used to Kate Markgraf. Now Mia Garciaparra? That would have taken some getting used to.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I often use Slappy McGullicutty as my byline...

Draft saved Draft deleted