1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious byline question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Apr 9, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A few of my coworkers use middle initials.

If I ever leave this business and start my own business, I'm thinking of going with my first initial, middle name. It works well together, and it's OK on things like a design business or event planning or something like that.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Freelance, your real name is Steven Patrick Hack?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Your byline is your name, however you want it to appear.
    You want to be Richie Writer, that's fine.
    You want to be Richard B. Writer or R.B. Writer, that's fine, too.
    Do what you want, not what anyone else thinks you should do.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I started using my middle initial in my byline after my grandfather died (my middle name was his first name). He was always very supportive of my career and I did it to remember him.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You're really full of shit if you do first initial, middle name, F. Scott Fitzgerald notwithstanding.

7. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I agree with spnited

use your middle initial, your entire middle name, your first and middle initials, or your first initial and middle name. whatever you think sounds/looks best. readers will have warm or cold feelings based on what follows the byline, not the byline itself.

go for it.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just having a little fun, not trying to be a dick.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I use first initial, middle name and last name. Why? Because I like it. Is it pretentious? Perhaps, but I still like it just the same.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think I may start using a number.

Hejira Seven Henry.
    or maybe
    Hejira Sixty Nine Henry.

We shall see ...

11. girl friday

girl friday Member

Before I got married, I used my first name, middle initial and last name. I just liked it that way.

When I got married, I switched my byline to my first name, maiden name and married name. I kept my maiden name because my father has always supported my career and he didn't have a son, so there is no one to really carry on the name.

Bottom line -- do what you like. As I've learned, no one even looks at the byline until they have a problem with what's written beneath it and want to complain.

12. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

the pretentious thing is people who think they know everyone's inner motivations and judge them based upon that.

i use the middle initial. but it's a superstitious thing. when i went to college, my first professor of my first class, a 70-year-old ex-marine who had psoriasis, wore coffee-stained t-shirts and rode a motorcycle to school, told us to write our name as it appeared on the roll on a sign-in sheet each day.

i respected what he was about.

so i checked, and my name was listed as last, first MI. it was a new part of my life. i was starting new study habits, taking school seriously now and leaving my old lazy high school self behind. i bought in, and wrote my name with the middle initial that morning and in every class i took after that. every time.

that was way before i chose a journalism major. but when i started writing for the college rag, i kept it going — for no other reason than to stay consistent with my college identity. and i still use my middle intial at the paper i work at today.

some guys do it as tributes to loved ones they were named after. some do it to distinguish themselves from relatives. for some, like me, i'm sure it has nothing to do with journalism OR pretentiousness.

it's your byline. do what you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted