1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would take a look at what the brother said again. Pretty sure he said he did not respond to SK. He just used the email as proof she'd tried to reach him to the Reddit folks. He ignored her request.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Someone who claims to be Hae's brother posted on Reddit last week:

http://www.businessinsider.com/brother-of-hae-min-lee-responds-to-serial-podcast-2014-11

I think I am more inclined to believe Adnan than Jay in this case, mostly because everyone who knows them says Jay lies. And a lot of people who knew Adnan back then say they don't think he could do it. I do think they are both involved, though.

EDIT: and PCLoadLetter beat me to it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That is the worst looking football field ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I actually find Jay *more* believable because that one friend of his said that he lied about little things constantly, but he wouldn't lie about something like this. It would explain why his story has so many inconsistencies (the prosecution's timeline based on his details is just completely implausible), but why he still got the biggest details correct. (Where her car was recovered, that they were both at the park that night, etc.)

That being said, from what they've present on Serial so far, I wouldn't be convinced of Adnan's guilt. I don't know - I think he did it, but I don't know that he did it. I'd be hesitant to vote to convict. Koenig spoke with at least one of the jury members, so I'm assuming there will be an entire episode focused on their deliberations at some point.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My bad. You're right.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The worst piece of evidence against Adnan is his phone call taken in Leakin Park at the time Jay said they were burying Hae. (per the ping off the cell tower)

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I still haven't listened yet, but I'm wondering about some of the posts.

No juror can know, absolutely, that a defendant is guilty. It is not possible.

The standard is not "without doubt." The standard is "beyond reasonable doubt."

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which is why 12 Angry Men is so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPll63y2b0

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Nisha phone call simply cannot be explained unless she is wrong about the lack of an answering maching (meaning it could have been a mistaken call which lasted for over 2 minutes) or the cell tower technology is incorrect. The podcast glossed right over the call like it was a bump in the road, but for me it is the biggest fact.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bump in the road? They spent like 10 minutes on it. Of a 30 min show! Seeing how people's interpretations of this show often don't line up to the facts is making a very meta point, I think.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Also, Koenig often throws out a "Remember that. We'll come back to it." pretty often, it seems.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess for me it is the piece of information which makes this a slam dunk for conviction

Draft saved Draft deleted