1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 20, 2014.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My own "no basis in evidence, pure speculation" addition - I kind of suspect that some of the ambiguities in the prosecution's case is because Jay isn't being forthcoming with his full role. I don't think he did it, but I do think he could have been involved more actively in the crime and cover-up.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jay had no motive. There's no reason for him to murder the girl.
    One person in this case had an intimate relationship with the victim.
    All of the speculation about other suspects is much more insubstantial than the evidence that was used to convict Adnan.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Can't believe it's been 3.5 years since the podcast premiered.

Hermes likes this.
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Oh boy:

Adnan Syed Murder Conviction Should Be Vacated, Prosecutors Say

tl;dr - If I'm understanding correctly, in March 2022, Adnan's lawyers found 2 potential suspects that weren't ruled out by police, but info wasn't shared with defense. Relative of one of the suspects lives near where the victim's car was found. One of the suspects, after this case went through trial and what not, was convicted of sexual assault. The whisperings are now that there's probably a DNA match in the case, if Maryland is going through with essentially releasing Adnan.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have read several stories on today's filing, none of which answers a couple of basic questions:
    1) Can the Court put an end to it by dismissing with prejudice or whatever term applies in criminal cases, thereby precluding the state from retrying the defendant?
    2) How can the Court not do so in light of a filing in which the State says it's not sure the verdict was fair?
    3) Any idea on a timetable?
    4) What does it mean to file paperwork with the Circuit Court? Who determines this issue? One judge? Circuit Court is apparently not an appellate panel.

8. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I'm following a twitter feed from the court hearing today. Lawyer for the deceased's family is arguing not enough prior notice was given to allow them proper time to prepare remarks. Victim's brother is in CA and maybe "planned" on participating via zoom but wasn't on when preceding began. So the judge told that lawyer to leave and call the brother to see if he wanted to participate. The lawyer returned and said the brother was at work but could be available in 30 minutes, so the judge recessed until 3:15.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The phrase "conviction overturned" is an interesting one to me. Definition of overturn: "abolish, invalidate or reverse." In a legal context, it's a curious choice of words because those three terms aren't the same. Abolish and invalidate leave room for retrial, but reverse suggests guilty becomes not guilty, which means you can't retry.
    The Sun nailed the lead in its live online story: "Adnan Syed, a Baltimore man whose legal saga spawned the hit podcast "Serial," is a free and innocent man. For now."

11. tea and ease

I doubt they retry. In (loosely) following the twitter feed from the reporter on scene, it seems the prosecution did the heavy lifting to get the conviction overturned. The defense kind of chipped in "Yeah, what she said." The prosecution mantra seemed to be "justice over conviction", and used most of the last prosecution's compelling arguments as either invalid, or suspect. I would assume that also means they're pretty tight on new evidence pointing at a new killer.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. tea and ease

I've always thought he was not guilty, so this might hit me differently. But I can't imagine this guy's life tonight. No echoing doors slammed. No one shouting. No guard doing rounds. Twenty three years. And a soft bed and silence. That might be enough to drive a man mad.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted