1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 20, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ol' Sarah really hooked me in the first five minutes of the first Serial: Can *you* remember what you were doing for 3 hours on this date, a couple of years ago?

The second Serial, to me, never had such a hook.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My friends who think he did it think so because when Adnan found out Hae was missing, he didn't try to call her. I think Sarah asked him about it and his answer was unsatisfying.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The short answer is, it makes far more sense to me than any other possible explanation. He was a jilted ex-boyfriend (a fact that Sarah pooh-poohed to a strange degree). His explanation for loaning his car was farcical. There were parts of his story I simply didn't believe, and they weren't outweighed by arguments over cell-phone tracking.

I don't know that there's enough to convict him beyond a reasonable doubt... but I think he did it.

Webster and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I stopped listening to the second one after four or five segments.

Very curious to see how this second trial goes (and does he get freed while away trial, has his conviction technically now been overturned?) - I lean toward him having done it as well but I'm far from convinced

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This is similar to my line of thinking. If I was on a jury, I don't think I could vote to convict him. But he's got a decent motive, and throughout the podcast even with Sarah putting him in the best possible light, he still seemed so evasive to me. There also isn't a credible alternative suspect - The Internet Slueths on Reddit usually focus on Jay (who has way less of a motive than Adnan) and a serial killer that was active in the area (but who's MO doesn't match this case).

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What about the new dude? Can't remember his name. Any reason to think he could have been involved in any way? They may have discussed that and I'm blanking on it

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I felt like they didn't discuss it enough. After Serial was over, I heard or read that the new guy's (Don?) alibi - that he was at work - was corroborated by his manager...who happened to be his stepmother.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, they said early on that he had an alibi, and he was barely an afterthought after that.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's always dangerous to go down the Reddit rabbit hole, but I think the "Don did it!" truthers have to rely on way more leaps of logic than the Jay ones. - Putting the insane Serial Dynasty "theory" in perspective • /r/serialpodcast

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I was in the "He probably did it, but there's not enough to convict" group. It did good job of pointing out a piss-poor defense and a half-assed job by cops, though.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's nuts to me that Jay got off so easily. He clearly participated, if not did the shit entirely. That people are just like "Meh, Jay. Adnan sounds guilty" is so weird. He knew where the body was. He was freaking out to co-workers about something. He is a bad bad dude.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted