1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serial killer in Gary, Ind.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Seven bodies found over the last few days. Looks like he killed prostitutes:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/us/indiana-possible-serial-killer-suspect/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Been a while since we had one of these to add to the pantheon, no?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Anything like this always reminds me of The Night Stalker. I remember it seemed like the entire state of California was scared of its fucking mind when he was out there. But someone breaking into homes is always scarier than someone who kills prostitutes.

Obviously, both are terrifying.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Night Stalker scared the piss out of me. I was 14. His killings in L.A. were so random and spread out. I was certain he'd come to Long Beach and climb through my window and stab me a thousand times.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I was 11. My sister was 9.

On a typical summer night in my neighborhood, if I looked out my window during the summer, there would be kids all over the place riding bikes, playing baseball, skateboarding usually until about 10 at night. During the Night Stalker period, which I think was almost two months, there was nobody on the streets after 5 and we were at least two hours from any of his victims, but he jumped around so much that everybody was scared shitless.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Grew up during the Zodiac Killer time period. That was scary times in SF.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Ramirez was on death row for 20 years awaiting execution.
    Should have been put in California's gas chamber the day after conviction.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Grew up in the I.E. and lived through the Night Stalker and scared the crap out of my and my brothers and sisters.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

One part of this story I keep fixating on is the killer's statement to Hammond Police that he "messed up" by killing in Hammond, as if to imply had he stuck to Gary he might never have been caught.

Good coverage in the NW Indiana Times yesterday and today.

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/gary/convicted-sex-offender-named-as-suspect-in-region-murders/article_2bfb161c-cba9-5a21-966d-a43aa06ef890.html

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I read this morning - probably in some of the coverage that you just linked from the paper that is delivered to my driveway every morning - that of the seven women killed, only one had a missing person report filed. It's a very dark reminder that even in this world where most of us feel hyper-connected, there are plenty of people who fall off the grid and into prostitution and other self-destructive endeavors.

10. RecoveringJournalist

That was the most scared I ever remember being as a kid. Seeing that super creepy sketch of him on the news every night didn't help matters.

The day he was caught, I looked out my window and one of my friends was riding his bike in the street and I said, "What are you doing?" and he shouted, "They caught the Night Stalker!"

Draft saved Draft deleted