1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sergio's taking a page from Fuzzy Zoeller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AtticusFinch, May 21, 2013.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's a pretty thick line between a product produced by a group of people and a negative stereotype. Fried chicken, watermelon, red Kool-Aid (or purple) ... these are things you just want to avoid. Plus, by bringing Becks into this, you're looking at it like Sergio was just honestly saying they were going to serve fried chicken. He said it as a negative statement. THAT'S where the difference comes in. Intent does matter.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good point. What if it were spaghetti, associated with an Italian? I'm not even trying to devil's advocate here. The idea that fried chicken is a negative black stereotype is so embedded that I wouldn't argue against it. I'm just not sure how it got that way and why.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hey, at least he did say "those people" like Fuzzy did.

I think there are a lot of instances when people freak out over something that should not have merited a freak out.

Zoeller's comments were probably the worst I've ever seen. Obviously athletes have said worse things, but not usually on TV.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

'Course, if Tiger were Jewish and Sergio said something about matzo balls ...

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nah, Leary's song has some character to it. Mr. Roboto is boring and processed, just like Bangbus is.

And is anyone buying for a fucking minute that Tiger was "hurt" by these comments? Bullshit. He's merely saying it to fire up any fanbase he has left so that Garcia will be catcalled and heckled at any tournament he plays at knowing it will get in his head.

6. Mizzougrad96

I seem to remember Tiger taking the high road during the Fuzzy mess. If he truly hates Sergio as much as it seems, it would be funny if he pretended to be offended.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

The irony in all of this is there may not be a a whiter black man alive than Tiger Woods, a guy who makes Colin Powell look like Cedric the Entertainer.

8. This.

And Tiger said he was hurt by Sergio's comments.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Darn it, Sergio, baked chicken. Which you might have had last night to begin with. The most inoffensive, boring food ever. Have Tiger over for baked chicken. Yuk-yuk, move on.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

Sure he is.

11. Mizzougrad96

Nike's PR department is probably screaming, "Holy shit, we've found someone who makes Tiger look sympathetic!!!!"

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Tiger were Jewish he'd have made a sarcastic rejoinder, both making light of the apparent insult combined with a stinging rebuke.

Tiger has run from AA background as much as possible except when using it for his own personal benefit. Attempting to garner a measure of sympathy by claiming he was hurt is ingenious and more likely a hollow self indulgent and patronizing expression on his part.

Fuck Tiger and his feelings with a 7 iron and a slalom ski.

BTW Serg, if you want to hurt Tiger, how about winning?

Draft saved Draft deleted