1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sergio disqualified from PGA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Aug 11, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tiger will shoot a 106 before he is DQ'd for signing an incorrect card. Ditto for probably 95 percent of PGA Tour players in their lifetimes.

The system does work, arcane as it is. The tours will get rid of it at the same time MLB has managers e-mail their lineups to the umpires room before games instead of exchanging cards at home plate.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Who's saying the players should keep their own scores. I think most people in favor of changing the system believe there should be an official scorer as there is in every other sport. No one's saying the player should keep his own score and have that be official.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

To answer the question about signing for a higher score: No DQ, higher score stands.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You cannot possibly have one official scorer walk with a foursome and believe that person is the end-all, be-all as to how many strokes each player took after 18 holes. You'd need eight eyes to track one person over the hill slashing the ball out of the rough, the player hitting three balls into the water, the one over in the other fairway taking a drop, etc.

Trust me, I've seen countless walking scorers over the years work professional events and after five hours you're lucky if they can remember which player is which.

5. Boobie Miles

Amazing that somehow television manages to have the correct scores though. Of course they probably just go up to the golfer's at each tee box and ask what their playing partner got on the last hole.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If I remember the rule correctly, Sergio was OK until he left the scorer's area.
    Had he stuck around, chatted with an official in the area, someone would have seen the mistake, said "Hey Sergio, your card is wrong" and then it could have been fixed.
    In the RIGA, I've seen many players sign incorrect scorecards and when the official is checking them, tells the player to double check with his playing partner. Then they fix the mistake and no one is eliminated.
    I dont see leniancy in this rule. You can make the same rule on carrying 15 clubs. What if a guy carries 15 but never uses his that extra wedge that he had in his bag to just to warm up with?

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

TV usually (but not always) gets the score right because they have an experienced person walking with each group and on the weekend there generally are only two players in a group. It's not a 60-year-old volunteer doing this for the first time.

15 clubs is 15 clubs and it's a penalty. It doesn't make any difference whether you've one or 14; carrying a 15th brings with it a penalty.

Yes, there were numerous opportunities for Sergio's scorecard to be corrected. That Sergio didn't use all those chances is his fault and his alone.

8. Boobie Miles

Well come on, couldn't the PGA hire the experienced person? And if tv only uses them on the weekend, how come they have the score on Thursday and Friday? I really don't think a case can be made that players NEED to keep one another's score. If you feel that it's important for them to do it because it's part of the tradition of the game, that's fine, but it's not necessary.

As for Sergio, I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't his fault. That's the rules right now, so he's responsible for getting it right. I just think that there isn't a need to do it that way anymore.

9. Kent_Dorfman

Kent_Dorfman Member

I agree with Boobie. I think all athletes should have less personal accountability. God forbid they have to pay attention to the other player during their round and then double-check the scorecard. That's just too difficult. After all, they've got their complimentary Buick to turn back in at the end of the tournament.

10. Boobie Miles

Why do some people take this so personally? Is it because it's Sergio? In no other professional sport are the participants required to keep the score. I don't think it's necessary in golf.

My stance has nothing to do with "personal accountability;" it's about an arcane system that is unnecessary. And just to reiterate what I've said multiple times: SERGIO WAS WRONG FOR SIGNING THE INCORRECT SCORECARD BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THE RULES ARE NOW... I just don't think the rule is necessary, and I certainly don't believe that it'd be impossible for the PGA to keep scores for players without this system. After all if Sergio and Weekley's score keeping was so important, and they both signed off on it, how did anyone know it was the wrong score?

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Can the PGA keep the score? I don't think that's the issue at all. We know they have the ability, especially since they can keep track of sand saves and putts and fairways hit and greens hit ... you see where I'm going with that.

But the rule is the rule. Is it fair that it's stroke AND distance for an OB? I mean, that slows down the game, having the player return to replay from the same position. But it's the rule. At all levels. Regardless if you like the rule or not.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Players still need to be accountable to each other, and keeping each other's score helps that on some small level. As a golf purist (or fanboy looser), I'd hate to see some automaton from the PGA in charge of scoring. Especially if a mistake ever came up. It's fine just where it is, in the players' hands. I don't think you hear about 10 DQs in a year on tour for incorrect cards, and that's out of thousands of rounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted