1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serena Williams with blood clot in lung

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

You're absolutely right. (NuvaRing)

It can also be genetic. (Factor V Leiden)

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Remember Serena and Capriati begging out of the Olympics within a day of each other just before the start in 2004? What do they test for over at the Olympics?

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Like has been mentioned, blood clots are a potential side effect of almost all birth control pills (and lots of plane travel as well, something she probably does a fair amount of). I don't believe they're associated with any sorts of performance-enhancing techniques other than blood doping like in cycling, but given she's not competing now, that would seem to be a long shot. BC and flying are far more likely culprits.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You would know.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Interesting face lift. I feel sorry for people with image problems who believe they need to do this.

[​IMG]

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I can appreciate all the speculation about pulmonary embolism being cause by birth control pills and performance enhancing drugs (and appreciate that I have no knowledge of Serena Williams' medical record) but this discussion is way off base.

The most common cause of a pulmonary embolus is a deep vein thrombosis or DVT. Normally, blood is returned to the heart because the muscles that surround a vein pump the blood back. Walking and moving make that happen. If the blood is stagnant, it clots. As the clot forms, it is unstable and parts of it can break off and flow downstream (in this case towards the heart) through the heart and get trapped in the lung circulation.

Ms. Williams was in a cast which limits the movement of the muscles and puts her at risk for DVT. Other common risk factors include immobility in bed after an operation or sitting for long periods of time in a plane or long car ride. Here is an article I wrote about it: http://www.medicinenet.com/deep_vein_thrombosis/article.htm

Anticoagulation is an inexact science and often people get their blood too thin and can bleed. Sometimes, it's no big deal like extra bruising i nthe skin and sometimes it is a catastrophe if they bleed in their brain.

I cannot imagine an elite athlete playing while on coumadin and with a pulmonary embolism treatment is recommended for at least 6 month.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Doc - There's an NHL athlete who plays on blood thinners, Jed Ortmeyer, but he has some sort of genetic condition. He also had a pulmonary embolism.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/SPORTS/711109811

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted