1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serena Williams with blood clot in lung

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Mar 2, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sounds rather serious...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/03/serena-williams-has-emergency-health-treatement/1

If a football player or a pro cyclist had her history of strange injuries, speculation would center on the use of PEDs. Just sayin'.

2. That's also a side effect of certain types of ingested birth control methods. Just sayin'.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

A linebacker on the team I cover had to miss the 2010 season because of this. Lots of coughing up blood. Very scary stuff.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Scary stuff. Hope she's going to be ok. I would wager there is a good chance this will lead to retirement at the very least. She's a competitve person, but she also has a world beyond tennis to think about.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Forget the label "career-threatening". Pulmonary embolisms are life-threatening.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One key difference, TigerVols: Serena is hurt all the time. She constantly misses tournaments because, while tennis is a wonderful sport, its structure, like golf, rewards its athletes for four mythical, fraudulent "majors" rather than acknowledging longevity and performance over the course of the year. Serena is a sloppy player who constantly stresses her body into injury, yet is anointed the greatest player ever by some fools because she sits out for a month and wins six matches over two weeks.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A quick Google search shows a very strong research link between steroids and pulmonary embolism.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Umm, that's more of a similarity than it is a difference, IMO. Most PED users frequently break down.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

True, but those other players could do something about it by, you know, beating her.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nothing mythical about it. Most prize money means the best field means the most prestige.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It won't surprise me at all if it's PED related.

I've never been a fan, but I hope she's OK.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

An before we canonize these players who play 25 tournaments a year (consistency! longevity!) . . . .

--- Many do it for the money and/or ranking points. Serena needs neither money nor ranking points (she'll win as the No. 1 seed or she'll win unseeded).

--- A lot of players play a zillion tournaments and burn out by age 25. Serena is 29, and if her career ends, it won't be because of tennis injury or burnout. So who's approach is better?

Draft saved Draft deleted