1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serena Williams - ALWAYS classy in defeat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 29, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nothing uppity about it... It was just a bitchy thing to say.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When asked about Razzano and her backstory, a look of consternation crossed Williams’s face. She again conceded nothing, mentioning her family’s recent health scares, both her own and that of her sister Venus.

“I know her story,” said Williams, seeded fifth here. “We all have stories. I mean, I almost died and Venus is struggling herself. It’s life. It just depends on how you deal with it.”

If just for once after a loss, just for kicks, she wanted to act even semi-gracious, she could just say, "Its a sad story." or "I don't know much about it."

Being a one-upper on someone else's death story is low-class.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The entire family's loathsome.

Can't wait to see what Loopy -- who's been enthralled by the sisters since Day One -- has to say about this latest Ode to Joy.

4. Mizzougrad96

I've heard Venus has gotten better.

A friend who has covered a lot of tennis over the years says the two worst to deal with in the last 20+ years are Marcelo Rios and Serena.

5. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Agreed on Venus - it's been quite a while since she acted in other than a classy way. Jon Wertheim often stresses this when people attempt to paint the sisters with the same brush. He also frequently points out just how much easier Serena could make things for everyone, particularly herself, and how beloved she could be, were she to simply display just a little common decency.

Now Richard, on the other hand, appears to be a truly bad person. If you read the police report available on the Smoking Gun, it's hard not to conclude that he beat the living daylights out of Oracene before they got divorced.

6. Mizzougrad96

From what I've heard, Venus matured... Serena didn't...

Yes, their father is one of the most despicable people we've seen in sports in a long, long time... Fortunately, we don't see too much of him anymore, or at least it seems that way...

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Mizzougrad96

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Just Serena being Serena.
    There's nothing new to be learned from this, she's a loathesome, egomanical conscienceless unsportsman-like jerk with fits of aggression. And when healthy and motivated, she's an all time great tennis player. She's also tanked matches, quit, walked away and given much less than her ability over most of her career. She's never lost a match to another opponent, she's only beaten herself.

It's all information available to those that want or care to know.
    How others perceive, treat and cover her now says much more about them than it does her.

Is she the smart, multi-talented phenom from the ghettos of Compton or is she the spoiled pampered and indulged professional from West Palm Beach?

10. Mizzougrad96

That NYT article is awful compared to everything else that's been written on this.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted