1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sept. 28-30 CFB thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I bet she needs consoling today:

http://post.extremus.net/photopost7/data/506/1146Wildcat_Pride.jpg

(NSFW, most likely)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice find, brother...

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It's an oldie but goodie ... one sure to bring a tear to micropolitan guy's eyes.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Brought me to my knees.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This is what I wrote on page 4 of this topic yesterday afternoon:
    I wrote exactly what Iowa needed to do, but would anyone read it? OH NO! (Just kidding, but I was right on several aspects of it). Iowa isn't spectacular or fast. They play within a system that Ferentz, O'Keefe, and Parker has in place. The defense will never, ever, play 1-on-1 or blitz. It's straight-up vanilla zone defense. The DB are young and they were going to get KO'd on big plays anyway. They have to keep the play in front of them.

To the offense, what did you expect? I said that Tate can't win the game for them, his team has to help him. So far, I'm not impressed with Grigsby, Brodell, and the WR corp except Douglas and Chandler. Douglas's only a freshmen and will learn on the job. Young and Sims didn't get the ball enough, to my opinion. Grigsby should be a lot better than he shows, but I have no idea how to light a fire under his ass.

Is Iowa overrated? At this point, I don't think so. They are where they should be at as of last night. Last year they were grossly overrated thanks to a few idiots who voted in the polls. They were not that good in '05 and it showed. The offensive line was banged-up, the WR's were green, and the defense wasn't cohesive enough to stop most teams.

If anyone thinks that Iowa is on the cusp of being in a class of OSU, Florida State, and USC, you're dreaming. If you think that Iowa is always overrated, you haven't watched practice close enough.

Look at the dynamics of what Iowa and Iowa State has to work with, besides stockpiling white boys. They will never get the cream of the crop blue chippers, that's common knowledge. Iowa works with what they have. Did we have a good time under the lights at Kinnick? Hell yeah, but we know our team can't hang with teams that are superior. Antonio Pittman and Anthony Gonzalez impressed the shit out of me. They should get more run than Ginn and Smith. They make that offense too tough to defend.

Mediocre bowl team? Shit, we'll take the Alamo, Cap One, and the Sun before taking the Motor City, GMAC, and the Continental Tire Bowls. Iowa fans aren't crazy to think that this program will be in the top 10 anytime soon. They are what they are, and we can accept that. Hawks will go 10-2 (lose @ Ann Arbor) and go to San Antonio or Orlando/Tampa. The rest of the Big 10, outside of OSU, Michigan, Iowa, and probably Wisky, there's a big falloff.

Iowa plays within their game plan, with no gamebreakers. Those WR's need to start catching the damn ball, and give OSU credit for mixing up their package when Tate threw those 2 INTs. Is there anyone in the Big 10 going to score than 17 points on that defense? Ask me when Michigan plays them and we'll debate the game comes up.

Since 1981, Iowa fans have been blessed to have a team that wins games and go to bowls. In the years after Evy and before Hayden, the Hawks were a joke. The fans know that Iowa isn't Ohio State or USC. They accept that as a fact.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Ah..........the insanity of youth.

God Bless it.

8. "Yes, and then Grandma put KSU logos on both her nipples and got really drunk.
    Oops, time for dinner."

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

UCLA blanks Stanford 31-0. Worst shutout win I've ever seen. UCLA's defense was good, but the Bruins offense needs to REALLY improve and fast.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Thanks JD! ;D Didn't check this thread until today. Great to see her again.

Yes, that's a nice pick-me-up, things were a bit bleak around here on Saturday.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Oh, it would me. I don't think 7-5 is going to happen, but by the same token, all those predictions of 10-2 (including my own) look extremely optimistic at this point. If UGA plays this week like they have the past two, they're gonna get drilled.

Draft saved Draft deleted