1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sept. 11 - Never forget to save on a new mattress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 9, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8:46 a.m. EDT. 15 years later.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Like any day where there is a good chance of chest-thumping Patriotism ("I"m more American than you!"), I tend to stay off Facebook on 9/11. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but the posts just make me roll my eyes almost out of my head. All of the "tributes" say essentially the same thing, and overall it's become such a self-serving day. No, I don't care that you were a junior in high school and your entire English class watched on TV, nor that you were in a grocery store and you dropped grapes all over the floor in astonishment. And remember your hashtag! #NEVERFORGET

It's one of many, many things social media has ruined, or perhaps it's just the curmudgeon in me.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Social media can fix you. Here's a kitten!

[​IMG]

HanSenSE, Batman and Gator like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was hitting tennis balls at the county park. Park was ordered to be evacuated. I had to quit playing. Upon hearing what happened, I did not "rush into work." Fuck that. It was my day off. That's my 9/11 story.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a very good read today, here's an oral history of the day of the attacks from those who were with Bush that day on Air Force One, which includes Andrew Card, Karl Rove, military people, the plane's pilot and the journalists who were a part of the small press pool.

‘We’re the Only Plane in the Sky’

murphyc likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Rove probably passed the time by deleting emails. Millions and millions of emails.

Double Down likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The morning of 9/11, we were moving my 82-year-old dad to a nursing home near us. On the way, we stopped at his brother's house in my hometown for lunch and watched the second plane hit. My dad, a career Air Force officer, said he was surprised it had taken that long.

Later that day as we checked into his home, the doctor stopped by his room and said, "Found something on your physical exam. We need to talk."

Terminal cancer. He was dead within four months.

That's my memory of 9/11.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

jr - condolences. And it probably feels like yesterday. Wish you the best.

VB

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appreciated.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not quite mattress store, but made me say "yikes." 14736529119951000486512.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted