1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sept. 11 - Never forget to save on a new mattress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 9, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think there's a difference somehow in using it to sell things. That may not make sense intellectually, but I think there's something in people's guts that makes that the point of no return.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's all in the delivery, too. "The Onion" got away with making jokes about 9/11 within days, because it didn't just indiscriminately make sight gags about it. There was a method behind it, as with "Animal House."

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess I just remember Gorilla Monsoon calling a surprise attack in the WWF "a Pearl Harbor job" and it not being something people got in a twist over.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You could well be right.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One more memory. The next day, Patriots guard Joe Andruzzi came out for a press conference. Every male in his family except him had or was an NYC cop or firefighter. None of his family died, but of course many friends of his parents, brothers and sisters, etc, did. He was very The shaken but talked to us for at least a half hour about what he'd heard from his family. Then, at the end of his remarks, tearing up (he wasn't the only one) he said "Don't worry guys, we'll get through this."
    Never before and never for the rest of my career did I hear a professional athlete call the media "we."

Vombatus likes this.
  6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

A truly fantastic piece: God Angrily Clarifies 'Don't Kill' Rule

OscarMadison and Riptide like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Since the man's not around to do it himself ...

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It identifies as gender-neutral.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member